2016 e Golf won't charge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomb39

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has had an issue similar to mine.

My e Golf won't charge at public stations or at home with my fast charger. The light comes up red each time, and the app says that the charger isn't locked, though it is.

We're getting down to a low charge and wondering if there are any fixes other than taking it to a dealer?!

Thanks,

Jon

Nope. Gotta take it in. They will probably have to replace the whole charge port. The part may not be in stock and you could be without the car for 1-4 weeks depending on part availability. Another owner recently had the same problem and he was without his car for 27 days. He got a Passat loaner for the duration.

miimura said:
Nope. Gotta take it in. They will probably have to replace the whole charge port. The part may not be in stock and you could be without the car for 1-4 weeks depending on part availability. Another owner recently had the same problem and he was without his car for 27 days. He got a Passat loaner for the duration.

/\ This. Get it towed in to the VW dealership, let them pay for the tow. How did you get a level 3 fast charger installed at your home?

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:
/\ This. Get it towed in to the VW dealership, let them pay for the tow. How did you get a level 3 fast charger installed at your home?
I don't think he meant Level 3 DCFC, I think he meant Level 2 AC charging, as opposed to Level 1 120V AC charging.

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

Yeah, I'm towing it tomorrow AM.

Sorry I didn't specify on the charger, I just mean the 'fast charger' they sell you at POS.

bomb39 said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

Sorry I didn't specify on the charger, I just mean the 'fast charger' they sell you at POS.

If it is the charger that comes with the car than it is only a level 1 charger. Definitely not considered the 'fast charger'

bomb39 said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

Why don't you help us out and post up the model of EVSE you are referring to, so we know what you are talking about.

I have that problem on and off. I'm too lazy to take my car in. So I've just been pushing-in the little metal pin right above the charger port on the car. Use something like a screwdriver. It doesn't go-in very far...just a 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch or so. That always resolves the problem. Problem comes back in a couple of months or so.

Frank3 said:
I have that problem on and off. I'm too lazy to take my car in. So I've just been pushing-in the little metal pin right above the charger port on the car. Use something like a screwdriver. It doesn't go-in very far...just a 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch or so. That always resolves the problem. Problem comes back in a couple of months or so.

UPDATE

Car has been at the dealer since Monday, diagnosed the problem today. Part is supposed to be in tomorrow. I can't recall what he said on the phone. Anyways, replacing a part.

NO LOANER CAR. Dealer was out. I headed to VW of America to ask about this and my 1800 mile new car and low and behold the dealer found a loaner for me. :shock: Picking up the loaner tomorrow.

bomb39 said:
Frank3 said:

UPDATE

Car has been at the dealer since Monday, diagnosed the problem today. Part is supposed to be in tomorrow. I can't recall what he said on the phone. Anyways, replacing a part.

NO LOANER CAR. Dealer was out. I headed to VW of America to ask about this and my 1800 mile new car and low and behold the dealer found a loaner for me. :shock: Picking up the loaner tomorrow.
There's no excuse for that. The dealer knew that VW would pick up the tab for the loaner. If they really didn't have a car, they should have got one from Enterprise for you.

DEFINTELY no excuse. Call VW and get some kind of recompense.

If that was a warranty repair and they cannot give your car same day they are supposed to give you a loaner.

So they replaced the charging port and cable. Working again.

Just an FYI. Signing out until the next issue :)

Other than that love the little car. Carplay is awesome.

Back