Need an advice for driving 115 miles in a highway (NorCal)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive 2017 SE e-Golf with 160 miles range capacity. If I drive in a highway nonstop for 115 miles at 65 MPH, from Peninsula up to Sacramento, would I expect to see 35 miles left at the final destination? If not, what is your suggestion to stop for re-charging?

Any advice how to maximize longevity for driving constant 65 MPH? Would you set D1 all the time? Which driving mode would you suggest?

FYI: No, I am not going to rent a car. The final destination has a charger.

It should not be a problem to make it without charging. From Palo Alto to Sacramento is only 119 miles and the EPA range of a 2017 e-Golf is 125 miles. Before you leave, set your navigation for your destination so you can see the "miles to go". As you're driving, compare the car's estimate of your range to the distance to your destination. If it starts saying your range is less than 10 miles more than the distance to your destination (range buffer), either slow down or stop to charge. These are all the Fast Chargers that the e-Golf can use along the way. You didn't say if your SE has fast charge or not. If you have less than 10 miles buffer when you're approaching Dixon, stop to charge there for 10 minutes. That's all you'll need. If you don't have the fast charge option on your car, then the best way is to just slow down.

Trip_Planner_PA_Sac.jpg

Yes, my car has the Fast Charger. I looked for a DC-combo charger through the Chargepoint website, but it's not available in the Dixon area. However, there is one free Lvl 2 charger at a VW dealer near Vacaville. I think there is a good chance that I would make it without stopping. Thank you for your reply.

BlueThinker said:
I looked for a DC-combo charger through the Chargepoint website, but it's not available in the Dixon area.

Use the PlugShare website, and not just any one charging network's website, to look for stations. It shows that at the Dixon Walmart, there are two EVgo combo CHAdeMO/CCS units there. There's another 2 combo units at Davis Commons, and a single combo unit at the Fairfield Walmart, all on the EVgo network.

Always have Plan B in case the charging station you're planning on using is broken, occupied, or ICE'd. Also, charge up when you can, don't wait until you're on the electronic version of "fumes" before looking for a charge station. In your case I'd top off at the Fairfield Walmart, or even use a station somewhere in the Vallejo area, rather than risking having to backtrack should the units in Dixon or Davis not be useable for some reason. Same for the return trip, try to cross the Carquinez Strait with as full a battery as possible.

Regarding driving mode: I personally drive in "D" on the freeway, unless I know I will be expecting stop and go traffic. Coasting nets you further range than regen. Some folks opt to not use cruise control for this reason, but let the car gain speed on downhills (to a point) and use that momentum to help get them up the next hill.

Also be aware Davis Commons only has one CCS plug.

The best way to extend your range is to slow down. Can you drive at 60 or 62 mph? Over a long trip, driving a bit more slowly can have a large effect. Also put the car into ECO mode to reduce max power available from the motor ( unless you floor it) and cut A/C power usage, too. Make sure your tires are pumped up to 42 or 43 psi. Wash your car before the trip so it slides through the air with less drag. Have fun!

I'd do the first 40-60 miles at 60 mph to see what kind of miles per kWh you're getting. If the math works out get up to 65 and see how much more power that takes.

If you're going this weekend it's supposed to be really hot, so plan on losing some range for AC and the warm temperature.

RonDawg said:
BlueThinker said:
I looked for a DC-combo charger through the Chargepoint website, but it's not available in the Dixon area.

Use the PlugShare website, and not just any one charging network's website, to look for stations. It shows that at the Dixon Walmart, there are two EVgo combo CHAdeMO/CCS units there. There's another 2 combo units at Davis Commons, and a single combo unit at the Fairfield Walmart, all on the EVgo network.

Always have Plan B in case the charging station you're planning on using is broken, occupied, or ICE'd. Also, charge up when you can, don't wait until you're on the electronic version of "fumes" before looking for a charge station. In your case I'd top off at the Fairfield Walmart, or even use a station somewhere in the Vallejo area, rather than risking having to backtrack should the units in Dixon or Davis not be useable for some reason. Same for the return trip, try to cross the Carquinez Strait with as full a battery as possible.

Regarding driving mode: I personally drive in "D" on the freeway, unless I know I will be expecting stop and go traffic. Coasting nets you further range than regen. Some folks opt to not use cruise control for this reason, but let the car gain speed on downhills (to a point) and use that momentum to help get them up the next hill.

The road is expectedly to be flat. What is your technique for coasting on a flat highway?

f1geek said:

The best way to extend your range is to slow down. Can you drive at 60 or 62 mph? Over a long trip, driving a bit more slowly can have a large effect. Also put the car into ECO mode to reduce max power available from the motor ( unless you floor it) and cut A/C power usage, too. Make sure your tires are pumped up to 42 or 43 psi. Wash your car before the trip so it slides through the air with less drag. Have fun!

Sounds good. Why not going for ECO+? I plan to commute in the night when there is almost no traffic, so I don't need to use the A/C.

tbier said:
I'd do the first 40-60 miles at 60 mph to see what kind of miles per kWh you're getting. If the math works out get up to 65 and see how much more power that takes.

Not bad idea. After 60 miles, if the range is sufficient, then I would probably be confident to finish the trip without a break.

BlueThinker said:
The road is expectedly to be flat. What is your technique for coasting on a flat highway?

There's a significant uphill grade going northeast from Vallejo. I believe there's also a hill (though not as steep) as you approach the Carquinez Bridge from the south.

I leave the car in "D" and don't engage cruise control. The eGolf coasts in D when you don't have your foot on the accelerator.

RonDawg said:
BlueThinker said:

There's a significant uphill grade going northeast from Vallejo. I believe there's also a hill (though not as steep) as you approach the Carquinez Bridge from the south.

I leave the car in "D" and don't engage cruise control. The eGolf coasts in D when you don't have your foot on the accelerator.

How do you coasting for a flat surface?

This is what I discovered my technique: holding the accelerator until you reach to the maximum speed limit (like 65MPH in a highway). You remove your foot from the accelerator at 65MPH. You're coasting until you see 59MPH, then hold your foot on the accelerator again to reach 65MPH. Rinse and repeat until you meet your destination.

BlueThinker said:
RonDawg said:
BlueThinker said:

How do you coasting for a flat surface?

This is what I discovered my technique: holding the accelerator until you reach to the maximum speed limit (like 65MPH in a highway). You remove your foot from the accelerator at 65MPH. You're coasting until you see 59MPH, then hold your foot on the accelerator again to reach 65MPH. Rinse and repeat until you meet your destination.
On a flat road, it's more efficient to set the cruise control and let it drive a fixed speed. In your example, the average speed is 62, so it would be more efficient to set the cruise to 62. On rolling hills, it's more efficient to hold the throttle at a point so that the car slows as it climbs, say from 45 mph at the bottom to 35 mph as it crests the top. Then, let it coast down the other side and repeat.

f1geek said:

About checking PSI for tires, shouldn't the Tire Pressure Monitor system showed up warnings if the PSI is low?

BlueThinker said:
About checking PSI for tires, shouldn't the Tire Pressure Monitor system showed up warnings if the PSI is low?

It has to drop below a certain point for that to happen. Unlike on some cars, the TPMS on the Golfs (e- or otherwise) doesn't measure specific tire pressure, but only a drop from a specific point. Whenever the tires are pumped up to the desired pressure, you're supposed to go into the infotainment system and reset the TPMS, which tells it the car's tire pressures have been verified to be correct. The system doesn't use wheel rim sensors, but instead measures the rotation, and can detect from the differences of rotation if the tire pressure has dropped.

It's meant more as a safety feature (discouraging you from driving around with severely underinflated tires) than one to preserve range.

Dang, I forgot to post the results.

It was actually 117 miles length. I stopped the car at the top floor of the Hilton Regency parking garage near to the convention center. The battery had 35 miles remaining. One way, no stop. I was very impressed, even my friend's father couldn't believe it.

The car carried extra 550lb including my friend and our baggages. I drove at 60MPH with the Eco Plus for most of the trip. I only switched to Normal whenever I needed to change the lane to pass by very slow cars.

My friend wants to buy an e-Golf after this trip. :D

On a flat road @ 65 mph and minimal use of climate controls given this time of year, I'm getting just over 4 mi/kWh and sounds like you got the same. With a 36 kWh battery that puts the max range at 144 miles or so. Thus the 30 miles remaining is exactly what I would have expected.

Back