Questions for a potential buyer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie

I'm considering buying a e-Golf SEL and have a few questions.

I don't have 220V in the garage. Is the full charging time really 20 hours? My round trip commute is only 25 miles, so the charging time may not be a problem. Also, my current job is across the parking lot from ChargePoint in Campbell CA and they have about 20 charging stations.

Can I tell the car to turn on the heater and seat warmer while the car is plugged in in the garage? Will 110V be enough to heat the car?

Should I get a 2016 or wait for the longer range 2017? It may be more expensive, but it has the longer range (and longer charging time). Maybe a higher resale value. Or I can get a 2016 cheaper since the 2017s and the Chevy Bolt may make shorter range cars less appealing and less expensive. Opinions please.

Thanks for all the answers to earlier questions from others, this forum gives good real world info that in not in VW brochure or web site.

Ernie,
Sunnyvale CA

You could probably buy a used 2015 SEL for a lot less than you think, and it will save you a whole bunch on sales taxes too. A few of them pop up from time to time. Depends on what your budget is. You have lots of options.

As an example, my situation has changed for transportation needs, due to my fathers declining health, and I am seriously considering putting up my white 2015 SEL for sale. The problem is that it is too low for my father to get in and out of taking him to doctors appointments, and he's lost his driving privileges, so I now have to take him everywhere.

$20,000 would take it from L.A. and get it delivered to your door. Owned by me, a retired 58 year old male, has about 8500 miles on it. I get 5.8 to 6 miles per kwh by driving it nicely and frugally. If you can drive like that, plugging in at home on 120v will be fine. Being so close to Chargepoint is another great advantage. You'll always be able to fill up in 2 to 3 hours if the battery gets low, or use their charge point 100 unit DC charger to get you to 90% in 40 to 50 mins without heating up the battery recharging.

Yes, you can set it up to preheat your car. vw carnet does it from your smart phone. What you will find being better is dressing appropriately for temps and using the seat heater instead, much more range on the car battery when you do so.

20160309_134030_zpsgjwwnypw.jpg

e-golfnight_zps6rtysbyr.jpg

Ernie said:
I don't have 220V in the garage. Is the full charging time really 20 hours?

The rule of thumb is 4-5 miles range per hour of changing @ standard 110/120V, so yes for 0 to 100% it's 20 hours. You'd be looking at 5-6 hours for 25 miles, so that won't be an issue getting back to full overnight.

Ernie said:
Also, my current job is across the parking lot from ChargePoint in Campbell CA and they have about 20 charging stations.

You've hit the jackpot. I work in Campbell Pruneyard and have to fight for spots at the library. ChargePoint HQ offers cheap charging and there's never a wait. You'll likely find it's simpler and more economical to just charge there every 3-4 days. At L2, the SE goes from 0 to 100% charge in about 7 hours. SE w/ fast charger or SEL will be twice as fast.

Ernie said:
Can I tell the car to turn on the heater and seat warmer while the car is plugged in in the garage? Will 110V be enough to heat the car?

You can pre-heat the car via the Car-Net subscription and turn on the window defrosters, but I don't think seats are supported. This will work as long as it's plugged in, 110/120V vs 208/220/240V shouldn't matter. Personally I have not used the seat warmers, even with the recent cold snap. Wearing jeans and using the basic environmental controls feels just fine.

Ernie said:
Should I get a 2016 or wait for the longer range 2017?

It's hard to say since we don't know what pricing will be like for the 2017/2018 models. I can say that lease deals for the 2016s are pretty appealing right now. They're slightly less than I paid, and are eligible for the state $2500 rebate (unless gross income is over $150k single / $300k married). If you do decide to buy, try and get the price below $25k for SE, $26.5 for SE w/ fast charger, or $30k for SEL. These are the sale prices Hayward was offering back in July. In my opinion, buying used only makes sense if you do not qualify for the rebates. There's a separate thread here on battery degradation; probably not an issue for you since your commute is so short, but it something to consider relating to resale value and long-term ownership.

The bigger question you should ask if if the car will be strictly limited to commuting or go beyond that. Most drivers, myself included, find we end up driving our EVs a lot more than planned due to the fun factor. My lease goes to 2018 but I am strongly considering transferring it in 2017 to get something with longer range and a fast charger.

Rule of thumb...... the supplied 110v charger will add 5 miles range per hour spent charging.
Although that rate can be reduced using the App if it is popping your circuit breaker.

The 110v charger will power the pre-heating. Assuming you haven't reduced the rate as mentioned above.

Car can be configured with the app to allow or disallow pre-heating without a charger connected. Car can simply consume range to achieve the pre-heating.

Prices for both new and used 2016 models will plummet once the 2017 becomes available.
Not only was the range updated in the 2017. There are several other updates and (we hope) fixes for the 1.0 release 2016 models.

BTW I am extremely happy with my 1.0 release. :cool:
Only the high residual value of my lease stops me from buying it at lease end.

Barry

I would recommend leasing over buying. The tech is changing fast. Three years from now, VW will have 200+ mile range EVs, as will most everyone else. I'm expecting that when my 2015 SEL lease ends in late 2018, I will be able to negotiate a deal to pay less than the lease residual, if I want to keep the car. More likely, there will be a 200+ mile range EV that I'll want instead. I suppose if the GOP manages to eliminate the $7500 tax credit, the value of used EVs may go up, but take a look at the prices on used Nissan LEAFs to see how quickly prices can drop on short-range BEVs.

- Steve

stevestrange said:
I suppose if the GOP manages to eliminate the $7500 tax credit, the value of used EVs may go up

My understanding is that can't happen, due to how the money was allocated. They also have said nothing about it; perhaps out of ignorance, perhaps out of political risk. The more likely scenario is Telsa, GM, and possibly Nissan running their 200,000 unit pools dry sometime in 2018, essentially being punished for their success. That's when things will get really interesting from a policy perspective.

johnnylingo said:
stevestrange said:
I suppose if the GOP manages to eliminate the $7500 tax credit, the value of used EVs may go up

My understanding is that can't happen, due to how the money was allocated. They also have said nothing about it; perhaps out of ignorance, perhaps out of political risk. The more likely scenario is Telsa, GM, and possibly Nissan running their 200,000 unit pools dry sometime in 2018, essentially being punished for their success. That's when things will get really interesting from a policy perspective.

How do the car companies get punished for their success? The tax payers get punished by the government for the electric car subsidy. Electric cars need to sink or swim price wise, on their own. There's an inherent high price for bleeding technology that should have the bill footed by Early Adopters that want and can afford to do so.

Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege, it can be taken away as easily as it is given.

Don't ask me, ask Elon. He's already said this of CARB and I'm sure will have same argument for the Feds when Tesla's pool runs out before anyone else.

And regarding government subsidies, much more taxpayer money is spent each year on dairy farmers so we don't pay $8 for a gallon of milk. As someone who is lactose intolerant, I'll take the EV credit, thanks. :lol:

johnnylingo said:
Don't ask me, ask Elon. He's already said this of CARB and I'm sure will have same argument for the Feds when Tesla's pool runs out before anyone else.

And regarding government subsidies, much more taxpayer money is spent each year on dairy farmers so we don't pay $8 for a gallon of milk. As someone who is lactose intolerant, I'll take the EV credit, thanks. :lol:
I'm second hand smoke and pot smoke intolerant, especially in drivers. I still don't think cigarettes should be taxed, but I do feel smokers should pay a huge health insurance premium for their choices in life. Making bad choices in life should not be rewarded.

Ernie said:
I'm considering buying a e-Golf SEL and have a few questions.

I don't have 220V in the garage. Is the full charging time really 20 hours? My round trip commute is only 25 miles, so the charging time may not be a problem. Also, my current job is across the parking lot from ChargePoint in Campbell CA and they have about 20 charging stations.

Should I get a 2016 or wait for the longer range 2017? It may be more expensive, but it has the longer range (and longer charging time). Maybe a higher resale value. Or I can get a 2016 cheaper since the 2017s and the Chevy Bolt may make shorter range cars less appealing and less expensive. Opinions please.

Thanks for all the answers to earlier questions from others, this forum gives good real world info that in not in VW brochure or web site.

Ernie,
Sunnyvale CA

Ernie,

Any update on your vehicle purchase? I was going to lease and then hold out for something better in 2020

IMHO it is worth it paying the $700 to get a L2 charger like the Siemens Versicharge https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30GRYHW-Versicharge-hardwired-installation/dp/B00MFVI8UG/ into your garage and be able to refill in 3.5 hours, also because charging with 208V is significantly (30%?) more efficient than charging with 110V, meaning you will waste electricity by charging with 110V.

Also consider a lease because technology advances so fast, this year Tesla comes out with their Model 3, and also look at the GM Bolt. Both are drastically different cars than the eGolf, which may or may not be ruling them out for you, but neither are much more expensive than the eGolf. The newer electric cars have twice the range of a 2017 eGolf.

That said, I love our 2015 eGolf, been a great car. We put 20,000 miles on it in two years and made me feel that I never would want to go back to a gas car ever again.

Skryll said:
IMHO it is worth it paying the $700 to get a L2 charger like the Siemens Versicharge https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30GRYHW-Versicharge-hardwired-installation/dp/B00MFVI8UG/ into your garage and be able to refill in 3.5 hours, also because charging with 208V is significantly (30%?) more efficient than charging with 110V, meaning you will waste electricity by charging with 110V.

Also consider a lease because technology advances so fast, this year Tesla comes out with their Model 3, and also look at the GM Bolt. Both are drastically different cars than the eGolf, which may or may not be ruling them out for you, but neither are much more expensive than the eGolf. The newer electric cars have twice the range of a 2017 eGolf.

That said, I love our 2015 eGolf, been a great car. We put 20,000 miles on it in two years and made me feel that I never would want to go back to a gas car ever again.
Normally I would say 'yes' but the Siemens has problems with the EGolf (see other posts)

I use a cheap Leviton I got from Home Depot for $449. (20' cable)
Others here use the Juicebox 40A which goes for about $499 (24' cable)

You can deduct from your taxes the install costs to wire it, and PLEASE get professional wiring if you aren't an electrician. (You don't want a fire in the middle of the night because you used the wrong gauge wire) that should run you about $200-300 depending on the complexity.

forbin404 said:
You can deduct from your taxes the install costs to wire it

I believe that expired December 31st. Some of the SoCal cities still have great rebates/credits for EVSE purchase and install, but there's currently nothing state or federal to my knowledge.

forbin404 said:
Skryll said:
You wrote: Normally I would say 'yes' but the Siemens has problems with the EGolf (see other posts)

I think those issues were only with the old black version, not the newer white one that I referenced ?

Skryll said:
forbin404 said:
Skryll said:
You wrote: Normally I would say 'yes' but the Siemens has problems with the EGolf (see other posts)

I think those issues were only with the old black version, not the newer white one that I referenced ?

Not sure which version has the bad issues, but once they start, very hard to fix. If you haven't bought it the JuiceBox is a good replacement.

If you had and it works fine. Well then keep it.

forbin404 said:
Skryll said:

Forbin wrote: Normally I would say 'yes' but the Siemens has problems with the EGolf (see other posts)

Skryll wrote: I think those issues were only with the old black version, not the newer white one that I referenced ?

Forbin wrote: Not sure which version has the bad issues, but once they start, very hard to fix. If you haven't bought it the JuiceFBox is a good replacement. If you had and it works fine. Well then keep it.

Works fine since 2015.

Back