20K Maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chatted with a VW representative about 20K maintenance today. She said that "The only service centers that VW has certified to work on your VW including the high voltage battery is an authorized dealership," and that "if your vehicle is under warranty for example and a failure occurs, and the dealer determines that the cause was due to improper maintenance, then that failed component would not be covered by warranty." So, it sounded like I have get this 20K maintenance done from VW dealership.

If anyone in the Bay area have completed 20K maintenance service recently, can you tell me the cost and dealership where the maintenance was performed?

I wonder if it is legal for VW to require you to get high voltage battery check done by them. For the other maintenance at 20K, I don't think it's legal for them to deny warranty coverage. A lawyer should answer this.

Read this:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

The issue would be that the independent mechanic does not have the tools to properly diagnose an electrical system of an e-Golf.

What I would do is ask how much it would cost for JUST the high voltage inspection portion of the 20k service. I would pay that, and then do the rest myself (or have a trusted shop do it). Most of the services on the e-Golf are simple inspections.

schleppy said:
What I would do is ask how much it would cost for JUST the high voltage inspection portion of the 20k service. I would pay that, and then do the rest myself (or have a trusted shop do it). Most of the services on the e-Golf are simple inspections.

My plan exactly.

How much labor do they charge to replace the cabin air filter? $6 on Amazon and two minutes, no tools required. Most of the stuff on the list is stupid easy @20K.

I'll post what VW North Scottsdale quotes me for just the high voltage portion, as I'm going to need it very soon.

Spektre said:
schleppy said:

My plan exactly.

How much labor do they charge to replace the cabin air filter? $6 on Amazon and two minutes, no tools required. Most of the stuff on the list is stupid easy @20K.

I'll post what VW North Scottsdale quotes me for just the high voltage portion, as I'm going to need it very soon.

What is your guess-o-meter reading for range on a full charge these days, vs what you are actually getting?

Frank3 said:
I wasn't charged for my 20K service. (VW of Oakland)

Free? Really? Anyone else have the same experience? I turned down the dealer when they offered me their "discounted" maintenance pricing. If I remember correctly, it was an additional $15+ to my monthly. (36 month lease)

http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/volkswagen-maintenance-plans/vw-maintenance-pricing/

MervinsOnlineID said:
Frank3 said:
I wasn't charged for my 20K service. (VW of Oakland)

Free? Really? Anyone else have the same experience? I turned down the dealer when they offered me their "discounted" maintenance pricing. If I remember correctly, it was an additional $15+ to my monthly. (36 month lease)

http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/volkswagen-maintenance-plans/vw-maintenance-pricing/

Yes, free really. I did not take any maintenance plans up front.

JoulesThief said:
What is your guess-o-meter reading for range on a full charge these days, vs what you are actually getting?

Haven't done too many long drives since the weather improved, but most days I'm seeing 84 miles and I'm getting around that. If it's warmer and I don't have the HVAC on I'm seeing 92.

Edit: It's 75 today (first time since I have owned the e-Golf), and now I'm seeing 105 miles. We'll see!

schleppy said:
JoulesThief said:

Haven't done too many long drives since the weather improved, but most days I'm seeing 84 miles and I'm getting around that. If it's warmer and I don't have the HVAC on I'm seeing 92.

Edit: It's 75 today (first time since I have owned the e-Golf), and now I'm seeing 105 miles. We'll see!

105 miles on the GOM is doing quite well, at that temperature, all things considered. It will do a little better at 82 to 84F if you can barely crack the windows while driving, and keep the fan and AC off. Maybe 110 to 112. The battery like the higher temps slightly, and the air is less resistance, the warmer it gets, as well as the whole drive train gets up to operating temps a whole lot quicker when in the low 80's . Just a whole bunch of cumulative little things that add up to more range. This is my second spring that I've observed the same as you, albeit about a month earlier here in So Cal.

Annual maintenance is free for 2015's, but not for 2016 e-Golf. However most of the VW salesguys did not know about that when they started selling the 2016 and gave out information that annual maintenance is free also. VW did a poor job training their salesguys when the 2016 came out.

I just got my 20k service and was also surprised to see that it was free. They gave me an estimate for about $100, but then when it was done it turned out to be free. So it seems like (as usual with the eGolf), they don't really know what's going on.

I was charged $280 for the 20K service, before a 15% discount for being a Costco member, at Power VW in Corvallis, Ore. Has anyone else been charged for the service?

jack8trades said:
I was charged $280 for the 20K service, before a 15% discount for being a Costco member, at Power VW in Corvallis, Ore. Has anyone else been charged for the service?

I would never take my VW in for a paid service, ever. A free service, maybe. Get your tires rotated and windshield washer fluid filled up elsewhere. Rare need to check the brakes, regen does most the braking for you. I don't believe anyone other than you has paid that much for a 20k service. They might change the cabin air filter at 20k, but that's not an absolute necessity, unless all you do is drive dirt and gravel roads, which is silly, the e-Golf is meant for in City street and Blvd driving, not rural country roads, highways or freeways, althought that's what many around here try to use it for, wasting their energy trying to drive fast in HOV lanes pushing air out of the way, and wondering why they can only get 75 to 80 miles on a charge, while I easily see 100 to 110 mile with buffer, driving it as it should be 35 to 45 mph max on the streets and Blvds in urban big city traffic.

VW is trying to tell you something by offering 7500 to 10,000 mile per year leases, as to intended usage and annual mileage that they designed for and envisioned the car and battery being used for as "normal".

JoulesThief said:
jack8trades said:
..which is silly, the e-Golf is meant for in City street and Blvd driving, not rural country roads, highways or freeways, althought that's what many around here try to use it for, wasting their energy trying to drive fast in HOV lanes pushing air out of the way, and wondering why they can only get 75 to 80 miles on a charge, while I easily see 100 to 110 mile with buffer, driving it as it should be 35 to 45 mph max on the streets and Blvds in urban big city traffic.

VW is trying to tell you something by offering 7500 to 10,000 mile per year leases, as to intended usage and annual mileage that they designed for and envisioned the car and battery being used for as "normal".

Drive mine every day on rural country roads and highways and I see 80-110 miles per charge in all weather. Just because others don't drive like you or utilize the same type of roads as you do with their e-Golf doesn't make it wrong. I have a 66 mile round trip daily and I average 54 MPH, get 4.4 Mkwh average. Works just fine for me. I think those that drive faster know the consequences to their charge, why do you have to lash out at them? I don't get it??? Did the VW engineers reach out to you and tell you the e-Golf was meant for city driving only and it pisses you off to see them being driven elsewhere? I have driven 10K petrol free miles since first acquiring my car 4 months ago; first drive Jan 22, 2017. At that rate, I will put over 30K on it this year. Maybe closer to 40K as my round trip commute will be extended another 34 miles soon. Sorry JoulesThief-sorry VW, I apologize for misusing your car. Come confiscate my car now before the word gets out. Seriously JoulesThief-lighten up.

95GLX said:
JoulesThief said:
jack8trades said:
..which is silly, the e-Golf is meant for in City street and Blvd driving, not rural country roads, highways or freeways, althought that's what many around here try to use it for, wasting their energy trying to drive fast in HOV lanes pushing air out of the way, and wondering why they can only get 75 to 80 miles on a charge, while I easily see 100 to 110 mile with buffer, driving it as it should be 35 to 45 mph max on the streets and Blvds in urban big city traffic.

Drive mine every day on rural country roads and highways and I see 80-110 miles per charge in all weather. Just because others don't drive like you or utilize the same type of roads as you do with their e-Golf doesn't make it wrong. I have a 66 mile round trip daily and I average 54 MPH, get 4.4 Mkwh average. Works just fine for me. I think those that drive faster know the consequences to their charge, why do you have to lash out at them? I don't get it??? Did the VW engineers reach out to you and tell you the e-Golf was meant for city driving only and it pisses you off to see them being driven elsewhere? I have driven 10K petrol free miles since first acquiring my car 4 months ago; first drive Jan 22, 2017. At that rate, I will put over 30K on it this year. Maybe closer to 40K as my round trip commute will be extended another 34 miles soon. Sorry JoulesThief-sorry VW, I apologize for misusing your car. Come confiscate my car now before the word gets out. Seriously JoulesThief-lighten up.
The way joules posts, he's an ex engineer for VW (Or a current one) who specializes in Manual writting and Battery engineering.

95GLX said:
JoulesThief said:
jack8trades said:

It works fine for you now. Your e-Golf battery will soon be a "beater" in 3 or 4 years of it's lifetime. VW is betting on that battery to just barely squeak to making it out of warranty before you need a new one to increase the cars range back to normal. But what do I know.

jack8trades said:
I should have mentioned that when I scheduled the service online, the estimated charge was for the cabin filter only at $60. $280 was a big surprise. I plan to call other dealers to see what they charge, and possibly VW itself.

Back