Fall Weather, cooler air temps = Low air tire pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my air tire pressure at 45 psi all the way around on my 2015 SEL. Most of August and into the first 2 weeks of Sept here in So Cal have seen 102 to 109F days.

Today is pretty close to the last day of summer, and tomorrow the first day of fall. Air temps this morning were 62F. I thought my tires felt a little soft getting out of the driveway on to my street this morning, so I checked my tire pressure and it was down to 37 PSI.

I checked my tire pressure 3 weeks ago an they were all at 43 psi, cold.

None of my pressure sensors went off, but the gist of this message is that now that it's cooling off, add some air pressure to your tires. These tires seem very sensitive, pressure wise, to cooler weather of fall, and need to be brought back up to proper pressure. So when you tires are cold, on a cooler morning, check the air pressure on them, and bring them back up to proper pressure.

I'll have to do this again probably, by mid to late November again, and then in January, as the temperatures keep on dropping.

It's not the tires that are sensitive, it's the air. Read up on the ideal gas law and maybe on deflategate, too. It's all simple science that when gases cool, their pressure drops. The pressure sensors in the car aren't going to be able to pick up a difference of 2 psig as they aren't that sensitive.

JoulesThief said:
I am familiar with Boyles law.

The ideal gas law that states the relationship between temperature and pressure is Gay-Lussac's law, not Boyle's law. Boyle's law states the relationship between pressure and volume.

Charlie said:
JoulesThief said:

The ideal gas law that states the relationship between temperature and pressure is Gay-Lussac's law, not Boyle's law. Boyle's law states the relationship between pressure and volume.

Thank you for that correction in my chemistry lessons.

JoulesThief said:
Charlie said:
JoulesThief said:

Thank you for that correction in my chemistry lessons.

Bitte schön

Back