Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End of Lease Inspection
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:16 pm 

Tomorrow we will be getting the end of lease inspection (done by SGS), and I went through this process with our LEAF a couple of months ago. So, I know generally what to expect.

Have any of you done this, and care to mention specifics, please?

Post subject: Re: End of Lease Inspection
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 am 

Just joined this forum. I had my SGS inspection in DEC2017 at 24000 miles. No chargeable issues. The inspector noted one hood chip and one light scratch on front bumper cover, LT 1/8". Tire tread depth @ 5/32" -- just above minimum. Decided to extent the lease for another 6 months vs purchase of 2017 SEL. Other than key FOB battery life, I have had no issues with my 2015 SEL egolf.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 am 

RecoverE wrote:
Just joined this forum. I had my SGS inspection in DEC2017 at 24000 miles. No chargeable issues. The inspector noted one hood chip and one light scratch on front bumper cover, LT 1/8". Tire tread depth @ 5/32" -- just above minimum. Decided to extent the lease for another 6 months vs purchase of 2017 SEL. Other than key FOB battery life, I have had no issues with my 2015 SEL egolf.

2/32" I believe is legal driving limit for tread depth. Take a penny and stick the top of President Lincolns head in the tread. If you can see the top of his head, legally, it's time for new tires.

I drive my Ecopia's very easy, I'm at 15,000 miles, and I don't think these tires will even make it to 40,000, 35,000 might be all she wrote.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:55 am 

How did you arrange to extend the lease for 6 months? Did you monthly payment stay the same? How was the residual value recalculated? What made you decide to extend for 6 months?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 am 

The end-of-lease inspection package included a gauge for tread depth. I believe that the limit was 1/8". Discarded the gauge so can't re-verify. Don't really know what the wear-and-tear tire limit for lease vehicles imply. In six months I will probably need new tires. Does this mean that I am responsible for a new set of tires if I decide to turn-in after my 42 month lease or will I get a pro-rated charge?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 am 

As for the lease extension, i called VW credit with the intention of getting a buyout quote. During the conversation I asked if I could extend the lease. They said yes and we discussed the financials.
The monthly payments remained the same. My residual is reduced by slightly more than the sum of the payments over 6 months. If fact, the buyout will be cheaper at the end of the 42 months than after the original 36 months. They also increased the mileage limit by 5000 miles, I believe.

My original plan was to purchase a 2017 egolf. However, given the $10K delta of the buyout of the 2015 and the 2017, I decided against it. Now I have another 6 months to reconsider, hoping that we see 2018 models in NYS with purchase incentives. The car has been ideal for my wife and me. We live in a small community within a 25 mile radius of our local interests. Have a Level2 charger and have never needed to charge away from home. Have other vehicles for long-distance travel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 am 

JoulesThief, thanks for the tire post. I have observed earlier posts by you and others on tires. Good info!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 pm 

JoulesThief wrote:
2/32" I believe is legal driving limit for tread depth. Take a penny and stick the top of President Lincolns head in the tread. If you can see the top of his head, legally, it's time for new tires.

2/32 may be the legal driving limit, but it's not unusual for a lease contract to specify a greater tread depth upon return. For the Leaf, NMAC required 4/32 tread depth, as does VW (who express this as 1/8).

BTW like Nissan, VW also publishes a guideline as to what they consider "normal" wear and tear: https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PD ... rocess.pdf

Quote:
I drive my Ecopia's very easy, I'm at 15,000 miles, and I don't think these tires will even make it to 40,000, 35,000 might be all she wrote.

Nissan Leaf lessees and owners would kill to get even 30k out of a set of OEM Ecopias. Most are worn out by 25k.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:32 pm 

Well, did mine with them as well, except of over miles no charges, even though I have quite a few dents and scratches...

Returned my car today so no EV for me for now, replaced with MB C300 as it was my wife's car. I wish VW finally learn how to put little bit useful mirrors on Golfs. I had 3 and those mirrors are useless...