Aerodynamics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohmer

Looking to bring some airfoil improvements to a 2016 model. Anyone know of good grille covers and/or rear fender wheel skirt makers?

Here comes the “German cars should be left just as they are!” Comment.

I think my 2017/18 rides higher than my 2015, the front no longer hits the road as I pull out of my driveway.

I read somewhere that the egolf mechanically regulates airflow through the grill. Can anyone confirm?
Maybe covering it could lead to overheating?

Barry

The e-Golf already has grill blocks; including a thermally activated louver in the opening below the bumper. With the aero wheels, you would see a smaller improvement with wheel skirts.

I think it needs a under pan from the rear axle back to the rear bumper. A Kamm back would be a big improvement. And side video mirrors would also be important.

Thanks to you both for your helpful and knowledgeable replies! I did some deep sniffing around the front end and, sure as Scheisse, there is indeed a mechanical shutter occluding the large radiator, which probably needs to breathe from time to time. The car still presents a considerable frontal concavity to incoming airflow however, even with the shutter closed. As the egolf is not a purpose-built, aerodynamically optimized electric—like, say, that sexy XL1– I have long harbored a knavish intent to do some reversible tweaks. All told however, this car is still a masterwork of engineering and your insights have appealed to my Germanic prudence and restraint; I will leave it in the state it arrived from Wolfsburg.

A K&N air filter decal under the hood is considered acceptable, and worth 9% more torque. Take a look at your speedo gauge. Germans design cars to cruise at a speed with the gauges to be in an optimal range such that all the needles on analog gauges appear straight up. That's indicative that 50 mph is about optimal cruising speed with this motor and battery configuration. Long time observations have come to the conclusion that running the fan above 45 mph is more efficient than destroying the air flow with the windows down and no fan running. Anything under 40 45 mph, roll the windows down instead.

The point being, at the speeds an e-golf runs to optimize its miles per kWh, aerodynamics play very little into the effect, overall. But you can bet, for it's price point, an e-Golf is a very aerodynamically slippery car. The Germans at Porsche, Audi VW Group don't miss much in pure efficiency department.

Ohmer said:
Thanks to you both for your helpful and knowledgeable replies! I did some deep sniffing around the front end and, sure as Scheisse, there is indeed a mechanical shutter occluding the large radiator, which probably needs to breathe from time to time. The car still presents a considerable frontal concavity to incoming airflow however, even with the shutter closed. As the egolf is not a purpose-built, aerodynamically optimized electric—like, say, that sexy XL1– I have long harbored a knavish intent to do some reversible tweaks. All told however, this car is still a masterwork of engineering and your insights have appealed to my Germanic prudence and restraint; I will leave it in the state it arrived from Wolfsburg.

A closed cavity is virtually as good as a smooth cover.

The underside of the hatch area is in need of a smooth, and slightly rising cover. That could help lower the drag.

Ohmer said:

The automatic mechanical shutters only exist in models that have no radar option added to the front.

Back