2018 CA HOV Tag processing time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryMW

Hi All,
With the new 2018 requirements for tags in CA, how long is it now taking to process them?
I miss the days where the dealer could provide them with the car, or at least have pre-ordered them.

I've been waiting a month and they have not even cashed my cheque.

Thanks

Barry

I think 8 weeks is typical. Also, you will be receiving the Red sticker, not white. There has been conflicting information about whether this sticker really will expire on 1/1/2019 as the text says at the link below, or if this will become the sticker that expires 1/1/2022. Creating the new sticker now and forcing people to re-apply again for the one that is good to 2022 is moronic. In that case, they should have continued handing out the White and Green stickers.

redcavdecal.png

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Off topic - but this OP seems to know about the sticker situation.
I have a 2016 eGolf with the white stickers (leased in 2015). Is there any loophole that would allow me to get the new (red) HOV stickers? What if I bought out my lease in 2018? Without HOV access this car's not worth keeping.

eegolf said:
I have a 2016 eGolf with the white stickers (leased in 2015). Is there any loophole that would allow me to get the new (red) HOV stickers? What if I bought out my lease in 2018? Without HOV access this car's not worth keeping.

I'm in the same boat, no loop holes. Once the car has been issued an CA HOV sticker with the exception of 2017/2018 there are no extensions.

I didn't get my white stickers until a few weeks ago and am now very tempted to get some red ones, then sell them on the black market. The e-Golf will go back to the dealer in August so they wouldn't be of any use to me :lol:

eegolf said:
The White stickers become useless when they expire on 1/1/2019. If the car was issued stickers before 1/1/2017, you may not apply for the follow-on sticker that expires in 2022. If you need a car with HOV stickers, you should probably lease another new one.

This is actually what the legislators wanted when the re-wrote the rules. They want to increase the total number of plug-in cars in the state. By you returning your car and leasing another new one, the old car will go to another driver. However, I think people, including legislators, will be surprised by how many will leave the state.

BarryMW said:
miimura said:
legislators, will be surprised by how many will leave the state.

Taking their anti-California owners and their belongings with them.

Barry
In case you didn't catch it, I meant that the cars would be purchased by people in other states or countries, not that the owners would leave the state. The Federal tax credit and State rebate make the used prices of these cars very attractive to people in other places that don't have new vehicle incentives. For example, Fiat 500e vehicles are making their way to Europe, RAV4 EVs are going to Norway and Jordan, and dealers are selling used North American e-Golf cars in Iceland. Each of these has their own issues, but the prices are so attractive that people are willing to deal with the issues of owning a car that is not officially supported in their area. The same applies to service of e-Golf cars in non-CARB states.

miimura said:
This is actually what the legislators wanted when the re-wrote the rules. They want to increase the total number of plug-in cars in the state. By you returning your car and leasing another new one, the old car will go to another driver. However, I think people, including legislators, will be surprised by how many will leave the state.

This is partly true. Yes, they wanted to increase the total # of plug-in cars by continuing the HOV lane incentive, but they also didn't want to "overload" the HOV lane (more than it already is) with too many vehicles that would negate the HOV lane's travel time benefits. Hence, the rolling expiration method.

Bottom line is that there will be a difference in resale value between 2015 & 2016 cars with stickers issued before 1/1/17 vs. those with stickers issued after 1/1/17 or those that have never been issued a sticker. The latter group are the ones that are more likely to remain in state.

miimura said:
dealers are selling used North American e-Golf cars in Iceland.

I was wondering where all the off-lease ones were going. I thought the lessees were hanging on to theirs.

The White stickers become useless when they expire on 1/1/2019. If the car was issued stickers before 1/1/2017, you may not apply for the follow-on sticker that expires in 2022. If you need a car with HOV stickers, you should probably lease another new one.
That's a bummer. I was totally planning on buying out my lease, but not anymore. SO I'll have to re-lease basically the same car (with more range) to get back into the HOV lane. The lease on the new eGolf is way more expensive (like 50% more for me) than the old one. I've got some homework to do.

So if I buy a used 2016 eGolf/Bolt/any EV with no stickers, can I apply for the red stickers?

eegolf said:
So if I buy a used 2016 eGolf/Bolt/any EV with no stickers, can I apply for the red stickers?

Yes, you can apply for red stickers if the car never had any white stickers before, or if the car was issued stickers after 1/1/17.

With the notable exception of Teslas, I see very few HOV-sticker-qualified cars without the stickers themselves. If you want a car that has never been issued a sticker, you're likely going to have to find one from out of state. Make sure to run the CarFax to ensure it wasn't first sold or ever registered in California.

My eGolf was rear-ended requiring a new bumper. I applied to DMV for replacement decals, I guess they will be white? Sent in the paperwork 2 weeks ago, DMV has returned nothing so far.

Just got my red stickers on Monday May 14th in my mailbox. Cleaned the car and applied the stickers same day.

Wrote check March 24th + mailed the request immediately, check cashed May 8th.

Looks like about a ~7 week turnaround time for my personal experience.

Back