First DC charge - then a lack of charge overnight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1218

I'm hoping this is nothing - but need some reassurance. (yes, I'm probably crazy.)

I charged my 2017 using a DC (public level 3) charger last night, for the first time since I've had it. Charge went fine, although I had a difficult time trying to get the charge head unlocked from the car. (Had to lock/unlock multiple times, used the "charge now" button, etc.)

Battery was about 70% after I drove home. Plugged into my L2 charger (as I always do): no departure time set, so it should charge to 100% immediately.

Came out this morning to drive to work: battery still at 70%!

Is there ANY chance the DC charger has caused an issue? Is it possible to "fry" (for lack of a better term) the onboard charging equipment with a faulty DC charger? (I looked on PlugShare, and see that this charger is new (1 week), and that other users have had a difficult time connecting.)

Set my crazy mind at ease!!

I don't think you fried anything. You should check the settings in the e-Manager. I suspect you have your immediate charge setting to only charge to 70%, not 100%. By the way, if you want to extend the life of the battery, don't charge it to 100% all the time - you are better off charging to a maximum of 70% or 80% as much as you can, especially when the temperature is above 90 F. When you plug in the charging connector, you will see the LED light near the inlet slowly pulse green if the car is actively charging.

f1geek said:
I suspect you have your immediate charge setting to only charge to 70%, not 100%.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have been looking for this setting for limiting the charge to something other than 100% when using the immediate charge. Is there a setting for this, I can't seem to find it?

f1geek said:
I think this video might help.

That is only for departure time settings (delayed departure). I don't think you can have the battery charge to anything less than 100% if you use the immediate charging mode.

flyboy320 said:
f1geek said:
I think this video might help.

That is only for departure time settings (delayed departure). I don't think you can have the battery charge to anything less than 100% if you use the immediate charging mode.
There is a roundabout way by having any departure timer active and then increasing your minimum charge level to the desired %.

The departure timer settings are arbitrary because the minimum charge should be a higher %, but that should get it to work the way you want.

Verkehr said:
There is a roundabout way by having any departure timer active and then increasing your minimum charge level to the desired %.

The departure timer settings are arbitrary because the minimum charge should be a higher %, but that should get it to work the way you want.

Hey that's a great idea, as you say a round about way, but it will work, thanks... :D

Back