No A/C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutty

Just purchased a 2017 VW e-Golf and while driving home after work I found that the A/C was not working. Dropped the car off at VW and I'm hoping for a quick and easy repair. Already missing the "e."

There is a somewhat common problem where the A/C and heat pump system gets into a state where it doesn't work normally. A service technician can reset the system and apply a firmware or settings change that will avoid that condition. This rarely requires any parts replacement or refrigerant recharge.

My 2015 had this problem about the same time last year, around 22 months into ownership. It turned out to be a failed refrigerant pressure switch.

According to the sales person I talked to yesterday there's a new service bulletin for the AC system. I bought a 2017 yesterday but they wanted to do the service before delivering the car. I'm getting the car today so it's apparently not a big job to correct it.

My e-Golf is still in the shop. I picked it up Sunday, took it in on Monday and they are waiting on a switch from Cali. Sucks because I have a loaner that seems to be guzzling gas....

Dang, hopefully it gets fixed soon. I also hope I don't have this happen, I just got my 2017 and our hot SF summer is right around the corner!

I bought a 2017 SEL today, and after a short test drive on a relatively cool morning in SoCal everything seemed fine. I asked to have the car delivered to my house that afternoon, and instead I ended up getting a call from the sales manager explaining they discovered the AC wasn't working. Being a holiday weekend, they won't be able to look at the issue until Tuesday. At least they delivered a Passat with a full tank of gas for me to use in the meantime.

Got mu EG back yesterday and all is good. A swith that diverts cool air to the battery was stuck and they also had to apply the software update twice.

The high voltage battery has a passive cooling system (ie, no cooling system) and I don't see why the 12 V battery would need to be cooled. Was the service manager high when telling you this? :)

Back