Updates and questions - two weeks in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1485

If anyone is browsing this forum that is still considering an e-Golf...do it! My impressions two weeks in:
- Very fun to drive, good looking, nice stereo and tech (probably even better with the digital panel package, which I don't have).
- Good efficiency for me so far. Yesterday I drove 50 miles round trip, the majority of which was going 65 on 101 (mostly flat), with the AC cranked, and got home with 70% juice left, give or take.
- Very comfy and roomy inside, even for a bigger fella like me (6'5", 215 lbs).
- The VW rubber mats look, fit, and feel great.
- I have the Carista "thing" on the way, excited to see what personalization options I have. Really hoping to be able to set the windows to roll down with the key fob, and the passenger mirror to dip on reverse.

For existing owners, a question...Has anyone looked at doing any suspension improvements? I saw a post recently about lowering springs, I don't think I want to go there, but what about a strut tower brace or anti-roll bars? I know it's not supposed to be a sports car, but it's already soooo fun to drive, a little extra cornering ability wouldn't hurt :)

Thanks for the report. I bought a 2017 SEL last week but haven't had a chance to drive it much.

I ordered the VW euro floor mats and am planning my EVSE installation. I also used VCDS to:

• Change the 'comfort' blinker to 5 instead of the default 3.
    Enable the key fob windows up/down feature (which I may have missed in the car's settings).

The suspension feels pretty good to me; I have the impression the handling is more limited by the tires than anything else.

Agreed, it's definitely the tires. The tradeoff is more rolling resistance for better grip, which would result in decreased range. I'm right at the point where I need new tires and I'm experiencing some decision paralysis: upgrade to 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports, keep the original 16" wheels and switch to grippier tires, or go with a LRR/Eco tire and keep my current range... decisions decisions!

Thanks for the feedback on the tires.

Spektre, I vote for keeping the stock wheels, but go with some grippier tires!

Spektre said:
Agreed, it's definitely the tires. The tradeoff is more rolling resistance for better grip, which would result in decreased range. I'm right at the point where I need new tires and I'm experiencing some decision paralysis: upgrade to 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports, keep the original 16" wheels and switch to grippier tires, or go with a LRR/Eco tire and keep my current range... decisions decisions!
What is your total mileage ?

YeGolf said:
Spektre said:
What is your total mileage ?

I'm just short of 38K.

I'm just short of 38K.[/quote]

Good to hear they're lasting that long, but dang, was hoping I'd have an excuse to upgrade mine sooner...!

timh18 said:
Good to hear they're lasting that long, but dang, was hoping I'd have an excuse to upgrade mine sooner...!

The OEM tires on the eGolfs are the same size as those of Nissan Leafs with the 16 inch rims. You shouldn't have trouble finding buyers who need replace the worn tires on their Leafs (or eGolfs) prior to lease turn-in but don't want to spend the $600 or so on a new set.

The OEM Bridgestone Ecopias on the Leafs are notorious for wearing out quickly; I had to replace mine only months before I turned in the car. VW fits a version of the Ecopia that seems to be closer in quality to the ones you can buy at retail, though some cars were fitted with tires from Continental.

Yup, mine came with the Contis. I'm probably going to go with the Michelin Defenders, but am wavering between that tire, the Energy, and what my first instinct is, the Pilot Sport :D

I'd like just a bit more grip on launch and a bit stiffer sidewall in the twisties, without taking a huge hit in the range.

Rondawg how many miles on your '15?

Back