Climate control while charging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltron

Is there an easy way to activate the climate controls while charging? I'd really like to come out to a cool car, but I can't figure out how to do this without going through the whole rigamarole of setting a departure time, which is too much work if I'm just plugging in for an hour while at work or shopping.

If you're using a Level 2 (AC) charger, you actually can't charge and use climate control simultaneously. Enabling climate control on a scheduled charge will actually shift the charging phase to finish ~30 min earlier and then activate climate control afterwards.

You can use climate control simultaneously with DC fast charging, however.

I haven't downloaded CarNet yet because I get the impression that it sucks...is it worth it?

I have been able to use AC while charging on L2. I have not been able to set climate control through the app in teh 7 months I've had my 2017. The only way I could do it was to log into the car net website and activate the AC.

YeGolf said:
timh18 said:
I haven't downloaded CarNet yet because I get the impression that it sucks...is it worth it?
CarNet for the first 6 month is for free. I activated and I like it so far. But I won't buy it.

Where are you located? I'm in the USA and just bought a 2017 e-Golf; it came with a 3 year Car-Net subscription.

The iOS app isn't great but so far I wouldn't say it sucks. However I haven't tried the advanced functions such as editing charging schedules.

slk23 said:
YeGolf said:
timh18 said:
CarNet for the first 6 month is for free. I activated and I like it so far. But I won't buy it.

Where are you located? I'm in the USA and just bought a 2017 e-Golf; it came with a 3 year Car-Net subscription.

You get full functionality for the first 6 months, afterward it's an abbreviated version that won't let you do certain things, specifically Speed Alerts, Boundary Alerts (geofencing), and Vehicle Health. The home page appears to let me remotely lock/unlock the car, but if I click on the padlock icon, I get redirected to another page where the lock/unlock, horn flash, and light flash buttons are grayed out.

I can still remotely start and stop charging, assuming the car is actually plugged in, and also remotely start/stop climate control. I can also set charge timers, which on the 2015's can only be done through CarNet; I'm not sure if this functionality exists for 2016 and later models with the abbreviated version of CarNet since you don't need it to set charge timers on post 2015 models.

Back