Driving Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charging Miles, as the weather warms up my 2018 E-Golf is showing more than 186 miles range (189 and 195 respectively) in Eco and Eco Plus when fully charged at home. Is this something that I should expect or is it an abnormality? I have not taken it out for an endurance drive to find out if it will deliver the distance. Could someone out there please enlighten me?

Right. You are looking at the GOM (Guess-O-Meter). The GOM predicts your driving range based on the car's current driving settings and how you recently drove the car. For example, if you drove the car yesterday on the highway for 100 miles at 60 mph, then fully charged the car overnight and then looked at the GOM this morning, it will read much lower than if you drove 100 miles yesterday at 25 mph. It might be able to deliver 180+ miles if you are driving VERY efficiently and fully drain the battery (though you should probably not fully drain the battery on a daily basis, for pack longevity).

FYI, I charge my car only to 80%, drive in Eco mode most of the time with the HVAC off, with a mix of highway and local driving, and the GOM says 145 miles. 145/0.8=181 miles at full charge, so my car is similar to yours. And I have a spare tire tire and jack kit in the trunk, too.

Have fun!

I have noticed that the battery gauge is a much better indicator. I seem to average 10 miles per division. Just drove 100 miles since my last full charge and I have six left to go. So in theory I have 160 total range. I hope never need to visit the red zone of electron fumes.

I used to watch the GOM but if your driving pattern is consistent you'll soon get a feel for what you can get out of the battery.

Is is good for battery to drain it till 0 miles or somewhere in the low red zone ones in month or similar ?
Or the best is always keep in in 20-80% range?

YeGolf said:
Is is good for battery to drain it till 0 miles or somewhere in the low red zone ones in month or similar ?
The battery will last longest if you keep it in the 20%-80% range. However, charging to what VW calls 100%, then driving it soon after will not cause significant damage. However, you don't want to charge it to 100%, then leave it in 100F+ temps for an extended period. I always used the charge timers to charge our 2015 so it filled to 100% less than an hour before leaving for work. Our other EVs have enough range that I only charge above 80% before leaving for a longer trip.

miimura said:
YeGolf said:
The battery will last longest if you keep it in the 20%-80% range. However, charging to what VW calls 100%, then driving it soon after will not cause significant damage. However, you don't want to charge it to 100%, then leave it in 100F+ temps for an extended period. I always used the charge timers to charge our 2015 so it filled to 100% less than an hour before leaving for work. Our other EVs have enough range that I only charge above 80% before leaving for a longer trip.

/\ This... very important, don't store it with a full charge for any length of time. If you fully recharge it, at least take 8 to 12 miles off the full charge within an hour or two.

I like to set mine to finish charge by 10:30 AM and be on the road between 10:30 and 11, on mornings I need to recharge before driving. I try to keep at least 15 to 25% in the battery before recharging. I will. every 6 to 9 weeks, really floor it from a speed of about 30 mph on up to 50-55 mph, to do a brief freeway run, to attempt to discharge the battery quickly, since I baby the battery almost all the rest of the time, Just in case any discharge resistance has built up in the cells.

About a month ago saw this as I pulled into work to get some free electrons. Thought it was pretty impressive, a range of 125 miles with a quarter charge to go. Really liking the e-Golf.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/34Zn6byY5dzqx6Fp7

34Zn6byY5dzqx6Fp7

SocaleGolf said:
About a month ago saw this as I pulled into work to get some free electrons. Thought it was pretty impressive, a range of 125 miles with a quarter charge to go. Really liking the e-Golf.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/34Zn6byY5dzqx6Fp7

34Zn6byY5dzqx6Fp7

Maybe close to 170 miles total range on a full charge. Very impressive!

Back