Making the e-Golf less efficient.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob2s

I am kidding as that was not the intent, however I didn't really like how e-Golfs really only differ in color, so I made some changes.
I rarely drive it above 40 mph (city). Mine is a 2016. I bought it off lease for $15k w/11k miles. Great value.
1) Webasto OE VW sunroof install
sunr.jpg

2) Golf R Grill with e swapped for R. OE Euro License Plate frame painted body color, eyelids painted.
uno.jpg

3) GTi 17" rims
cinq.jpg

due.jpg

4) Body color rear valence. It is hard to tell but looks good in person.
quat.jpg

Since I am new to this car, could someone answer a couple of questions with 'just deal with it' or 'options'

1) I don't want the climate control to come on automatically @ 72 on Auto. I just want it to be off until I make it otherwise after I turn on the car.
2) I drive the car into my garage and leave it unlocked, plug it in, and when I leave I have to press unlock to free the charger. My former volt and fiat e500 didn't do this.
3) When I shift into drive initially by going all the way down to B, why doesn't B take, why do I have to pull down to B AGAIN for it to take ?
4) Is there a way outside the car, to make all the windows go down ? Or go up upon leaving the car ?
5) Are these cloth seats the easiest staining seats in the history of man ? I put a bottle of wine (unopened) and the condensation left a 'stain'. WTF. Should I scotchguard (3M) them ?

Thanks !!

1. There is a software update that will keep the temp at its last setting. However some VW dealers are reluctant to do this, or are reluctant to do it for free. Search this forum for "72 F fix."

2. Unfortunately this is part of eGolf ownership.

3. Also part of the eGolf experience. Driving the shift lever all the way back only puts it into Drive. For B mode you have to do it again. There is no workaround. You have to do the same thing on the Leaf.

4. It has to be enabled via a software hack using something like VCDS/OBDeleven. Not sure if this is available on Carista.

5. Numerous complaints that the seat fabric gets dirty if you look at it wrong. All you can do is Scotchguard the crap out of them and clean them often.

timh18 said:
Great looking ride, welcome to the family!
Thanks, I like it quite a bit ! I tried the DC fast charge today. Not too many of those around in Portland. They look expensive.

ob2s said:
Thanks, I like it quite a bit ! I tried the DC fast charge today. Not too many of those around in Portland.

Did you search them out on Plugshare? I counted about 16 locations with CCS in an area bounded by Hillsboro to the west, Troutdale to the east, and I-5/205 to the south.

They look expensive.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There's one across from my work which charges 34 cents/kWH, double the usual electric rate for this area, but still reasonable for DCFC. I've connected at some that charge 20 cents/kWH but with a $4.95 connection fee (to deter someone who only needs a few kWH top-up). There are other places that are much more.

They're meant for occasional use, and not as your primary charging source, which isn't good for your battery anyway. If you still charge primarily at home, you're still saving money over gasoline, particularly at current prices.

ob2s said:
timh18 said:
Great looking ride, welcome to the family!
Thanks, I like it quite a bit ! I tried the DC fast charge today. Not too many of those around in Portland. They look expensive.

The best rate to DCFC in portland is Broadway Kia, its $5/hr on a 50kW charger. Power Kia in Salem is free! Electric avenue downtown was free up until 2/2018 but is also $5/hr outside of "peak" hours.

I've put 9,400 miles on my 2017 and have only paid $12 in electricity (total!) thanks to all the free L2 chargers in the Portland area.

Check out this video

https://youtu.be/d9z2UwZunYI

for how to at least close all the windows. Wish I had a sun roof. Can you post interior shots. How much was it?

SocaleGolf said:
Can you post interior shots. How much was it?
Thanks for the video. Sorry I was off for a few days. I think I will pass on the sealant and carry a plug/glue kit. If the tire blows out, then you're screwed anyway.
The Webasto was $1000 installed. About what a roof 'costs' on a sticker. Lifetime warranty. Made in Holland. In fact it is called the Hollandia 700.
sr1.jpg

sr2.jpg

sr3.jpg

I also got in a LED H15 bulb set today. I already have short focal length (no bleeding from reflector housing) H7 HiDs for low beams. The driving light is the best thing about it. It is no longer yellow. I know if I had an SEL it wouldn't have to bother. Bad picture, but the color vs the VW DRL LEDs is the point.

bub.jpg

Looks great. I'm very tempted to do the sunroof too. Did you have it done at a shop in Portland, would you recommend them?

tbier said:
Looks great. I'm very tempted to do the sunroof too. Did you have it done at a shop in Portland, would you recommend them?
Yes in the Beaverton. Coach Auto. THe headliner is different, but a very good match. The lights that shine on the rear seats had to be moved a bit, and shine a bit higher, but I need those lights 1/199 times. If you're in Portland I can show it to you. It takes a Wed-Fri, then the roof stays closed for 48 hours for the gluing to harden. The glue smell dissipates in 10 days.

Hey there, quick tip for the charger unlock: you don't need to use the fob to unlock, and should still be able to do the hand dip into either of the front door handles to unlock the charger port, as long as you have the fob with you and in range for the car to recognize it.

LafinJack said:
Hey there, quick tip for the charger unlock: you don't need to use the fob to unlock, and should still be able to do the hand dip into either of the front door handles to unlock the charger port, as long as you have the fob with you and in range for the car to recognize it.
And the car is locked ? I tried that other way and it didn't work. thanks

ob2s said:
And the car is locked ? I tried that other way and it didn't work. thanks
Yep, US 2015 eGolf. I virtually never use the fob to lock/unlock and instead have switched to the hand dip in the front passenger handlebars to unlock, including the charger port, and the divot on the outside of the front handles to lock, including the charger. It should all work as long as your fob is in range...?

Back