Does playing loud music drain battery faster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't be sure if the loud music would drain the battery faster. I read all of the recommended ways to save energy: correct tire pressure, no A/C, close windows, coasting, etc. I haven't read anyone mentioning about not using a CD music.

Wouldn't adjusting volume reduce battery usage? The car comes with a CD player, so I'd like to play my classic CD rocks for my long highway trip.

Yes, of course louder sounds use more energy. But, does it matter to your range for normal driving? Probably not. If you are really trying to hypermile, then you should have everything turned off and also try to diet to lose some weight, while you are at it.

Seriously, enjoy the drive and don't worry about the music, if you can, that is- I suspect the stereo uses less energy than driving at night with the headlights on, if your car has the halogen headlights.

If listening to the CD relaxes your driving style even the slightest bit, you will save energy overall.

I can't speak to the stereo in the SE, but in the SEL it pumps out pretty good...crank that puppy up!

If by "long highway trip" you mean more than about 125 miles between charges, even with a 2017 you're going to be disappointed, even more so with an older model.

I thought the non drive/ AC - heat bits ran off the deep cycle 12 V under the hood .... so the impact should be minimal if any .. that is what I was told , could be sales BS ....

Right, all the 12 V accessories (like the interior and exterior lights, stereo, wipers, etc.) run off of the 12 V battery. The 12 V battery does need charging, and the high voltage (HV) battery charges the 12 V battery. Thus, if you use more accessory power, you lose more HV battery energy.

The heater and A/C run directly off the HV battery.

f1geek said:
Right, all the 12 V accessories (like the interior and exterior lights, stereo, wipers, etc.) run off of the 12 V battery. The 12 V battery does need charging, and the high voltage (HV) battery charges the 12 V battery. Thus, if you use more accessory power, you lose more HV battery energy.

The heater and A/C run directly off the HV battery.

so the deep cycle charges when plugged in or continually off the HV batt ? like an alternator continually charges a regular 12v car batt when the ICE runs ... asking for a friend ;-)

Back