heard anything about the charger recall ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deschodt

I just read on a european site VW is going to recall 140000 E-golfs because of the presence of cadmium in the charger. I'm not sure they mean the actual 110V charger or the on board device on the car... Apparently that's a cancer inducing metal, blah blah...

If the 110V I could not care less, don't use it. I may not bother, assuming the US follows the same rules, I need the car and the charger sits inert in the trunk..

There's been no indication to us so far. It could also be an EU-specific thing, because AFAIK cadmium is not a banned substance in the US. You can still buy Ni-Cd batteries here.

giphy.gif

RonDawg said:
It could also be an EU-specific thing, because AFAIK cadmium is not a banned substance in the US.

It's banned in children's toys and several states have their own rules just to be safe, usually within the context of candy, toys, pet food, and jewelry - situations were an animal or child could be ingesting it.

However, California, New York, and Washington have banned it in brakes which is where this might get interesting.

Just saw this article on Google News. I expect we’ll hear more from VW soon:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/volkswagen-toxic-cadmium-charger-ev-plug-in/

Back