Can't find the wheel lock key!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to do my first tire rotation not at the dealer. Found out that there are wheel locks. Checked everywhere in the trunk, glove box, the bag with the inflator, and every cubby hole. No key could be found.

Where should the key be? I'm assuming it should be in the glove box.

Thanks

Right. The tool kit the other poster is referring to is the bag with the fix a flat kit (black cloth in the corner near the rear light).

Here's a dumb question...do we all have wheel locks by default? It's always been an option on other vehicles (and a silly one at that!) that I've had.

timh18 said:
Here's a dumb question...do we all have wheel locks by default? It's always been an option on other vehicles (and a silly one at that!) that I've had.

Yeah I would make sure that the OP first removed the decorative caps, which make it look like they are keyed (which they are not from the factory).

Ok, checked in the black bag again and found the key. You have to remove the little compressor and it's tucked inside the back opening of the compressor.

Thanks

RonDawg said:
timh18 said:

Yeah I would make sure that the OP first removed the decorative caps, which make it look like they are keyed (which they are not from the factory).

So we do have them by default then? Not sure why anyone would ever steal our pizza cutter wheels!

timh18 said:
RonDawg said:
timh18 said:

So we do have them by default then? Not sure why anyone would ever steal our pizza cutter wheels!

Read your owners manual. And the window sticker. I think it's by default on all 2015 e-Golfs.

VW through in the wheel locks as standard equipment. Took my wheel lock key from the flat tire inflation kit and put it in the glove box. This makes it much easier to get to and I don't have to hassle with repacking the kit.

SocaleGolf said:
VW through in the wheel locks as standard equipment. Took my wheel lock key from the flat tire inflation kit and put it in the glove box. This makes it much easier to get to and I don't have to hassle with repacking the kit.

I checked my own 2015 eGolf and sure enough there are wheel locks. I was surprised as it's not outlined in the sticker (on a car of this category, it's usually an option), plus my own Alltrack doesn't have them (I personally checked that too). In the 3 years I've owned this car I've had the tires rotated once, plus for the recertification at lease buyout the dealer put 2 new tires on, yet there's no indication that key was ever used (still looks brand new).

That said, I'll probably swap those out for regular wheel nuts. I'm not aware of any rash of thefts of Astana wheels, plus my car is securely garaged both at home and at work, so the only time there would be a chance to steal them is when I'm parked somewhere public. I'm far more likely to have trouble removing them when it's a dark and stormy night and I'm dealing with a flat tire.

Back