Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:08 pm 

Hi everyone - new owner here...2016 SE. Love the car

Anyone look into upgrading any components of the stereo? Itd be nice to have better sound, whether that requires an amp upgrade, adding a sub, or upgrading the existing speakers. I know we are all very conscious of electrical draw and range, but Im curious nonetheless. If anyone has any info, including what the stock stereo configuration is, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: eGolf Stereo Upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:15 pm 

Like most recent model cars, the stereo provides many functions besides music. Removing the stock head unit might disable other functions, particularly CarNet capability. Without CarNet, on US-model cars you cannot set charge timers.

I would suggest upgrading the speakers/amp and/or adding a subwoofer. In Europe, VW offers a factory subwoofer option which resides in the spare tire well. Whether or not the wiring will match up (or if the leads are even present) is a different story.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:44 am 

RonDawg wrote:
Like most recent model cars, the stereo provides many functions besides music. Removing the stock head unit might disable other functions, particularly CarNet capability. Without CarNet, on US-model cars you cannot set charge timers.

I would suggest upgrading the speakers/amp and/or adding a subwoofer. In Europe, VW offers a factory subwoofer option which resides in the spare tire well. Whether or not the wiring will match up (or if the leads are even present) is a different story.

More than car-net, it also is linked to your display in the instrument panel.
It's not changable.

2016 e-Golf SE (Returned)
2015 Fiat 500e (Returned)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:30 am 

I agree with you both, and have no intention of changing the head unit.

If there is any information available the number of speakers, types, amps, wiring, etc, itd be very helpful.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:35 pm 

I plan to upgrade the speakers and will post info when I do. Problem is I don't have an e-Golf...yet. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:58 pm 

Want to work on mine? Any thoughts on upgrades before you get the car?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:03 am 

We have a small community, relatively speaking, but our car is a MK7 Golf albeit with an electric motor. The Golf community is much larger comparatively and you'll probably find a lot more mods and tampering you can do with the car on those forums.

I'm not trying to discourage discussion here, just pointing out there is nothing esoteric about our headlights or headunits, for example, that any mods for the regular Golf wouldn't work for ours.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:04 pm 

One thing I did years ago was replace rear speakers in a car with 8 set into a replacement rear shelf. You can wire them as series-parallel sets to look like the same resistance (impedance) as one speaker to the amp and by driving each speaker less you can get more sound with less distortion. Might be a small improvement without the power drain of a big power amp...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:05 am 

Thanks everyone...

If anyone comes across a wiring diagram of our car (or gas golf) to show where the speakers are, and amp is, thatd be super helpful.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:23 am 

AFAIK the stock set up doesn't have a separate amp - it's all in the head unit. My previous Mk6 GTI had a module under the passenger seat, but I'm almost certain that was just the Bluetooth integration module.

Here's the link to the audio / infotainment section of the GolfMk7 forum website:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/forumdisp ... f926b&f=62
They probably have a lot of useful info in there.

Also check out the e-Golf section of VWVortex. They tend to be a more modification minded group than this forum seems to be, so there's probably people who've already done what you're considering there:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay ... -eGolf-VII