Broken Charge Port ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmanmp

I am wondering how many people have experienced the broken charge port? How many people will experience it going forward? As others have noted it seems like a poor design.

I find several forum posts where they were replaced under warranty. In my case, the dealer determined it was abuse without even removing the cover plate. They didn't look at the part or ask any questions. Their explanation was it is a common problem that occurs at public charging stations. The only problem is that my egolf has only ever been charged at home. They want Approx $2,000. for the repair. When I told them that was ridiculous they suggested I file and insurance claim for coverage. Since I don't believe that it was caused by an "accident" and I suspect the part will fail in the same way again I am not willing to go that route.

Reaching out to VW Customer Care was a waste of time. They called each day at around 6:20 to ask for another day as they investigated the issue. After three days of this they called and said exactly what the dealer. It was pretty clear no investigation was happening. When I asked who at VW made the determination and what facts they used they refused to answer and pointed back to the dealer.

Has anyone come up with a remedy? My concern is that the combination of VW plastic and this being a part that gets considerable use will result in repeated failures. Looking at the part with the cover off highlights that the part flexes and is under stress just from the weight of the charge cable. At $2,000 a failure repeated failures will become an issue.

My apologies for the missing details. I was trying to add an image but can't get it to attach.

The issue is the tabs are broken. Plastic parts and VW are not a good combination. The dealer says it is physical damage.

I took the cover off and observed the plastic part in use. It get's a significant amount of flex from simply inserting the charge cable handle. The way the plastic broke at the tabs it appears to have broken from pull force not from a sideways or push in. You can not push the part past any of the tabs inwards.

What year is the cat? Does it have DC fast charging? Where are these tabs located? Is a standard J1772 plug hard to insert or the CCS combo plug?

What year is the car? Does it have DC fast charging? Where are these tabs located? Is a standard J1772 plug hard to insert or the CCS combo plug?

The egolf is a 2016 without fast charging.

The tabs are the ones that hold the charging port to the frame via another plastic bracket.

It seems to be a mickey mouse design and is the issue that several others have noted. Most seem to get it covered under warranty. Unfortunately for me VW has seemed to change its tune. They want you to file an insurance claim.

It's this same issue:

https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=847

https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=846

If I could figure out a way to post a picture it would be clear as day. I think people would be surprised to see how they mount this critical part. I suspect there will be a lot of people experiencing this failure over time.

So it's like this, where it's caved in / collapsed?

https://imgur.com/0ApHpfz

Have seen a couple of cases like this. Not really sure what exacerbates or causes it. You can tell just by feeling the plastic around the charge port that it's not as secure as it should be. But I'm at 2 years / 20,000 miles and mine is still fine. The car is parked facing west so the charge point gets plenty of sun/heat, but I don't have the charge port open during the day.

Back