2016 e-Golf SE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancar

I am looking to buy a VW e-Golf SE s016 with 55,000 Miles. Please provide advise what to look for when buying an e_Golf with these many miles. If I buy this will be my first EV. Thank you.

I’d be interested in how those miles were achieved regarding charging.

Assuming original purchase mid 2016.
Car is 28 months old x 20 working days a month = 560 working days.

55,000 miles / 560 days = 98 miles per working day.

Very rough numbers I know.

Maybe this was achieved by L2 charging at place of work.
But me as a consultant, l would have needed DC FAST quite often.

If you’re in CA, look up CARBs battery warranty rules.

Barry

55,000 miles is quite a lot for a car that's only 2-3 years old. Especially as the SEs were designed as basic commuter cars. My 2016 SE is not even to 20,000 miles yet and I consider its usage to be moderate.

Main concern would be charging habits and battery wear. If it lacks a DCFC port, then I'd be less concerned seeing as all charging was done L1/L2. I'd also look at tires, as they'd probably need to be replaced somewhere around 50,000 miles but the original owner may have pushed it.

My 2016 SEL is now almost three years old and has 45.000 miles. I never used DCFC. The battery capacity is down to 19kwh from its original 24kwh.

cheers,
Werner

My 2016 SE is currently at about 37K miles (lease started in Jan 2016) so 55k is quite a lot of miles. My commute is about 60 miles round trip and I am averaging about 4.1mil/kWh. The car mostly gets L2 charging at work. I usually charge up the max during the day (i live in a condo complex so charging is not ideal at home). Depending on how drive, I usually rolling to work with single digit on the ODO.
I would be a little concern with the car with that many miles especially not knowing how it was used!
wkublla-how did you determine the battery capacity? I usually still seeing about 17kWh-18.5kWh of charges with the battery down to 5-7 miles left!

I have used these three methods to determine the battery capacity:

1) When you stop the car after some lengthy drive, check the drive data (CAR button -> Selection -> drive data), note the trip miles and the energy economy. Note also the remaining range (screen to the left of the speedometer). Add trip miles and remaining range. Divide the sum by the energy economy. E.g., trip was: 37 miles, remaining range is: 47 miles, energy economy is: 4.4 mi/kWh

(37mi + 47mi) / (4.4mi/kWh) = 19kWh

2) When you stop the car after some lengthy drive, check the drive data (CAR button -> Selection -> drive data), note the trip miles and the energy economy. Read the battery level (below speedometer). The battery level has 16 tick marks from empty to full, record the "battery capacity used" (not the "remaining capacity"). E.g., the trip was: 34 mile, energy economy is: 4.1 mi/kWh, battery capacity used is: 7/16

34mi / ( 7/16 * 4.1mi/kWh) = 19kWh

3) Drive your car until the battery is almost empty and charge it. My JuiceBox app on my phone tells me next morning that it charged the car with 18.4kWh.

I understand that there is also the possibility to use an OBD device (like OBDeleven) that can read the battery capacity directly from the car, but I have never used this.

cheers,
Werner

Back