Article about e-Golf ownership in AutoTrader.ca

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased my 2018 e-Golf 6 months ago and recently published article about my ownership experience in AutoTrader.ca . Here is a link to the article: https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20181026/life-with-an-ev-2018-volkswagen-e-golf/

I’ve been a car reviewer for many years and it was interesting to review my own car after a full six months of driving it almost daily!

Nice article. I just got a new 2018 E-Golf last week. I think I'm only the 5th in Alberta. I have to figure out how to limit the charge to 90%.

Loving the car so far.

Tom2018eGolf, to set the minimum charge level, the path is Menu, Vehicle, e-Manager, Settings, Charging . However, I think I misinterpreted the owner's manual instructions. On page 266, it states, "Frequent and consecutive charging of the high-voltage battery when the charge level is above 98% can also decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Make sure the charge level is below 98% when you start the charging process." I think the "98%" refers to the state of charge of the battery when you start charging it rather than the charging level set in the e-Manager. Further, I think it's possible to set the minimum charge of the battery at 100% because the car automatically reduces or deactivates the regenerative braking function when the battery is close to full charge so that the battery is not overcharged. I've now set the minimum charge at 100% which should give me a slightly longer estimated range.

If you want to preserve the battery capacity for as long as possible, charging routinely to 100% is not advisable. If you don't need the range on a daily basis, charging to less than 100%, say 90% or 80%, will go a long way towards reducing the rate of battery degradation. Of course, if you don't own the battery, you can decide to pass on the accelerated degradation afforded by routine 100% SOC charges to the next owner.

CaptainVancouver said:
F1geek, thanks. I'll leave my charging level at 90%!

Unless you need the range afforded by that kind of SOC, I would set your charging level to 80%, less if you are able to. Balance that with the possibility of an occasional unexpected trip though. If you can charge at or near the car’s 7.2 kW capability, you can get away with a lower setting, as opposed to only being able to charge at 120 volts.

If you have to constantly charge up beyond 80%, try to minimize the time the car sits at that level of charge by using charge timers set to end charging near your normal departure time.

RonDawg, thanks. I didn't realize that it was so important to the battery's health to reduce the SOC charging level to 80%. Have you heard of any statistics indicating how much that will extend the life/reliability of the li-ion battery?

CaptainVancouver said:
RonDawg, thanks. I didn't realize that it was so important to the battery's health to reduce the SOC charging level to 80%. Have you heard of any statistics indicating how much that will extend the life/reliability of the li-ion battery?
The 80% figure cited in research is usually relative to the total maximum capacity of the battery cells. VW and every other EV maker has already left a buffer at the top and bottom of the battery in order to prolong its life. So, the 90% that the car is showing you is probably more like 82%-85% of the absolute capacity. If I had a 2017+ e-Golf, I would just set it to 90%. If the next 10% is very unlikely to ever matter in your normal daily driving, then sure, set it to 80%. Our Model 3 LR has so much range that we set it to 80%. The Standard charging mode on my RAV4 EV comes out to about 83%, so I just use that every day.

If you know you will be using more than 75% of the battery, absolutely don't hesitate to charge it to 100%. It's better for the battery than running it down below 10%. Also, since it hasn't been said here yet, if you can, avoid the red zone on the battery level gauge. For example, if you're sure you can make it home, but it will be down to the last 20 miles, make sure to plug it in and charge it right away to at least 25%. If you want to wait for cheaper electric rate period to charge it the rest of the way, fine. That is what the Minimum Charge Level setting is good for. It will charge to that level as soon as you plug in, then wait for the scheduled charging time.

miimura said:
CaptainVancouver said:
The 80% figure cited in research is usually relative to the total maximum capacity of the battery cells. VW and every other EV maker has already left a buffer at the top and bottom of the battery in order to prolong its life. So, the 90% that the car is showing you is probably more like 82%-85% of the absolute capacity. If I had a 2017+ e-Golf, I would just set it to 90%. If the next 10% is very unlikely to ever matter in your normal daily driving, then sure, set it to 80%. Our Model 3 LR has so much range that we set it to 80%. The Standard charging mode on my RAV4 EV comes out to about 83%, so I just use that every day.

If you know you will be using more than 75% of the battery, absolutely don't hesitate to charge it to 100%. It's better for the battery than running it down below 10%. Also, since it hasn't been said here yet, if you can, avoid the red zone on the battery level gauge. For example, if you're sure you can make it home, but it will be down to the last 20 miles, make sure to plug it in and charge it right away to at least 25%. If you want to wait for cheaper electric rate period to charge it the rest of the way, fine. That is what the Minimum Charge Level setting is good for. It will charge to that level as soon as you plug in, then wait for the scheduled charging time.

Thanks for the advice!

Here is data that both upper and lower charge limits DRAMATICALLY improve the battery longevity.

https://pushevs.com/2018/04/27/battery-charging-full-versus-partial/

Only the e-Golf and Leaf battery packs are passively cooled (of the mass produced EVs) and battery cell temperature control has a dramatic impact on the rate of capacity loss, too. If you truly want the e-Golf battery pack to last, then you need to keep it away from the low and high extremes. Like mentioned above, keep it in the 80% to 20% SOC range (based on the e-Golf in car readout) for the longest life.

Best of luck!

Great read!

Expensive for you to install a home charger? I am UK based and with government grant it was about £200-£300 total.

I think your driving experience is similar to mine, with range etc. It's getting colder in the UK and if I want a warm journey I lose about 5% of range.

astromouse said:
Great read!

Expensive for you to install a home charger? I am UK based and with government grant it was about £200-£300 total.

I think your driving experience is similar to mine, with range etc. It's getting colder in the UK and if I want a warm journey I lose about 5% of range.

Unfortunately, government subsidies in the province of British Columbia were unavailable at the time I installed my wallcharger. The provincial government allocates a certain amount of money and when it's depleted, the program is over. Free money from the government tends to go fast. But yes, the price of the charger, the labour to install it, the municipal inspection fee, and the taxes all add up!

I saw the steps of how to set a minimal charge. How does one set the maximum charge on a 2017?

johnskb said:
I saw the steps of how to set a minimal charge. How does one set the maximum charge on a 2017?

Someone in this forum with a 2017 may know, but the easiest way might be to try phoning the Service Manager at the dealership where you bought your e-Golf.

CaptainVancouver said:
johnskb said:

Someone in this forum with a 2017 may know, but the easiest way might be to try phoning the Service Manager at the dealership where you bought your e-Golf.
LOL. Expecting dealer personnel to be helpful with this is way beyond my expectations.

Try this video. http://www.knowyourvw.com/?page=video&id=71&autoplay=5610

The Max Charge Level is part of the Charging Location Profile. In order to use it, you have to set up a Departure Time event. If you don't use the timer routinely, for example if you don't have Time of Use rates where you live, then you can use the Minimum Charge Level as you Maximum Charge Level and set one weekend Departure Timer. This technique works because every time you plug in, it will charge to your Minimum Charge Level (say 90%), then wait until it's time to charge for your one Departure event to charge the rest of the way. Most days, that time never arrives before you unplug and drive away, so the Min level effectively becomes your Max level.

miimura said:
CaptainVancouver said:
johnskb said:

LOL. Expecting dealer personnel to be helpful with this is way beyond my expectations.

This! The dealership where I got my eGolf was totally clueless about the car. This forum provides way more info than you’ll ever get at a dealership.

Miimura,
Thanks for that link to the video. That clearly shows how to set the maximum. My 2017 is 1 year old now and for the first 10k miles, I was just doing full charges but going forward my default will be 80%.

Back