Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: fell in love and bought a 2016 SE
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:27 am 

miimura wrote:
However, if you're going to spend money to install a new circuit and you have the capacity in your electrical panel, I would put a bigger circuit - either 40 or 50 amps

Yep, this is what I did. ChargePoint did at the time have a 16a version for $100 less, but since the electrician's time wast going to cost more than that, I went with a 32a charger and 40a breaker since I had the capacity on the panel. Worked out well since I now have the i3, and charging at 16a would go beyond the 8 hour limit of non-peak power my current PG&E plan provides.

To be clear, charging rates are backwards compatible since the car and charger will auto-negotiate the highest supported current. So my 2016 SE charges at 15a/3.6kW on a 32a charger no problem.

Last edited by johnnylingo on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am 

Snoopy wrote:
Interesting, I'm leasing a 2016 SE, and my lease ends in January. My buy-out price is about $13k, and I only have 13k miles on the car, but I still think I will be turning it in.

This is why I decided to buy out my 2016 SE and hold on to it for a bit. As a bonus, it was eligible for red HOV stickers, which just arrived yesterday. Paid about $15k after taxes and fees, but am fairly certain it will sell for more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm 

Two quick questions in my first week of ownership.

1. I have minimum charge set to 60% and departure time at 8am.
Each morning the battery hasn’t been quite full at 8am - like 80-90% but not higher. What’s that about?

2. Today we had 60% left and we had a trip to do so I wanted to get it up to 100% to override both the schedule and the minimum charge level. Pressing what I take to be the “charge now” button would just put a little charge in and then stop charging. I couldn’t figure out how to get it to fill up all the way so I turned up the minimum battery level to 100%. That can’t be the solution can it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:59 pm 

syd wrote:

2. Today we had 60% left and we had a trip to do so I wanted to get it up to 100% to override both the schedule and the minimum charge level. Pressing what I take to be the “charge now” button would just put a little charge in and then stop charging. I couldn’t figure out how to get it to fill up all the way so I turned up the minimum battery level to 100%. That can’t be the solution can it?

I'm new to this, too (just got delivery of my 2018 e-Golf 10 days ago), but my impression of the e-manager scheduling feature of the e-Golf is that it needs a major redesign. It's very kludgy and unintuitive and way more complex than it needs to be (or at least it doesn't do a very good job of hiding its complexity beneath a veneer of simplicity). I've been confused, too, about how to get it working the way I expect it to work.

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your first question, but the answer to the second, I think, is to just turn off all the schedules and plug in. That way, it just starts charging when you plug it in and goes till it's done. More experienced owners out there can correct me if I'm mistaken about this.

My car also has two buttons next to the charging receptacle, and the top one of the two (according to the manual) is the "Charge Now" button. Just plug in, wait for the car to recognize that there's power, press that button, and it overrides any schedule settings and starts charging immediately. A green light flashes continuously indicating that it's charging.

The minimum battery setting simply works like this: if your charge is less than the minimum, then when first plugged in, the battery will override any schedule settings and immediately start charging to the minimum level and then stop there and follow the e-manager schedule. The feature exists to keep the battery level from dropping too low.

If you want a 100% charge, then you need to set the maximum level to 100%, not the minimum level. This setting is in charging profiles in the e-manager.

Clear as mud, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:11 pm 

miimura wrote:
You can program the car to charge to 80% or 90% on the center screen under e-Manager. It's not that obvious how to set it up, but it's there for 2016 and later US models. I never bothered with our 2015 because my wife was the primary driver and she was always nervous about running out of charge. Also, we knew we were going to return it at the end of the 3 year lease.

Unfortunately not, at least with the 2016. I mean, you kind of can, but it doesn't work like a simple charge limit. You have to futz around with the charge timer, and tell it to aim for whatever charge percentage by a specific time. But in my experience, if I tell it to be 80% charged by 5pm or whatever, and I get delayed and end up getting to it at 6pm, it will be at 100% SOC because the charge maximum isn't actually a maximum. It keeps charging after it hits that point. At least for me. If that's not how its supposed to work id love to know so I can take it to the dealership for service!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:46 pm 

syd wrote:
Two quick questions in my first week of ownership.

1. I have minimum charge set to 60% and departure time at 8am.
Each morning the battery hasn’t been quite full at 8am - like 80-90% but not higher. What’s that about?

Thanks!

Turning minimum charging to 0% on a JuiceBox40 pro EVSE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 pm 

Sparklebeard wrote:
miimura wrote:
You can program the car to charge to 80% or 90% on the center screen under e-Manager. It's not that obvious how to set it up, but it's there for 2016 and later US models. I never bothered with our 2015 because my wife was the primary driver and she was always nervous about running out of charge. Also, we knew we were going to return it at the end of the 3 year lease.

Unfortunately not, at least with the 2016. I mean, you kind of can, but it doesn't work like a simple charge limit. You have to futz around with the charge timer, and tell it to aim for whatever charge percentage by a specific time. But in my experience, if I tell it to be 80% charged by 5pm or whatever, and I get delayed and end up getting to it at 6pm, it will be at 100% SOC because the charge maximum isn't actually a maximum. It keeps charging after it hits that point. At least for me. If that's not how its supposed to work id love to know so I can take it to the dealership for service!

Just set a charge timer for some arbitrary low value (50% or whatever) and set minimum charge to 80 or 90%. That way it always charges to 80 or 90% immediately when plugged in and stops, waiting for a charge timer which never comes into play.