Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello all - new 2018 e-Golf owner (with charging question)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:02 pm 

Hi all,

Got a great deal (almost $7000 under sticker price!) on a new 2018 e-Golf SEL Premium with DAP out here in the Boston area recently, and just took delivery of it last week. So far, I'm just loving this car -- and sometimes just driving around just to drive around in it. I've never owned an EV before, and everything about it so far is impressive. Just love how quiet, powerful, and refined the car feels. I've owned two other VWs in the ancient past ('77 Passat and '86 Golf diesel), and this new one is in a whole different universe of quality and features.

Also seriously considered the Chevy Bolt (mostly because of its range) but when it came down to it, my wife and I just liked the obviously better build quality and more polished and thoughtful interior and exterior of the e-Golf, despite its inferior range. The interior of the Bolt felt a bit on the cheap side (lots of hard plastic) and the seats were uncomfortable, and the car felt smaller somehow, even though I think the interiors have about the same available space. We also just liked the styling of the Golf way better -- just looks like a "regular" car that happens to be electric. We (and I'm sure many others who also might be in the market for an EV of any kind) are quite put off by the faux "futuristic" styling of the Bolt and the BMW i3 (and many other BEVs and PHEVs, including the entire Prius line). Why do car companies feel that they have to do weird, otherworldly designs for EVs, I wonder? I'd like to think I'm rational when making big decisions like this, but emotional reactions do enter into the decision. It'd be very hard for me to pay a major amount of money for something I find to be unattractive to look at every time I look out into my front driveway. So if the Bolt had actually looked anything at all like the e-Golf's stylish exterior, we might have gone the other way...

Anyway, I had a question about doing overnight scheduling via the Car-Net app. I need to set it up so that the charging starts at 9pm and ends at 5am the next day to take advantage of off-peak electric rates. When I go to set up the charging profiles, it says "Start time falls within same day of set departure time. To schedule the night rate timer for overnight charging, set start time to 12 AM." So am I correct in assuming that it's impossible to set up a single profile that will start charging at 9pm and end at 5am? Do I need to set up 2 profiles/schedules for this? One for 9pm-12pm and one for 12pm to 5am? If so, then the kludgy scheduling functionality for this app really needs a serious redesign.

Also, I don't see any feature to tie a GPS location to a specific charging schedule so that it automatically changes to that schedule when I'm at that location. I'm assuming that this simply doesn't exist, which is a sad thing. I see so much potential in this app that seems to be going untapped, but it appears from other posts here that just getting the basic functionality working was a long and arduous process to begin with... Oh well..

Thanks to all of you regular posters, here, btw. While I was researching this car and in my first week of ownership, I've been lurking on this forum, and it has provided me with much useful info.

Post subject: Re: Hello all - new 2018 e-Golf owner (with charging questio
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:31 pm 

manybees wrote:
When I go to set up the charging profiles, it says "Start time falls within same day of set departure time. To schedule the night rate timer for overnight charging, set start time to 12 AM."

Setting two schedules should do the trick. The app was initially developed by Verizon and worked fine, but about year ago VW took it in-house and introduced several bugs and feature losses in process. Some people prefer to avoid it entirely and instead set departure times via car button -> e-manager which will delay charging. However, this has the shortcoming of not being aware of off-peak hours if you'd rather use low rates vs. having a full charge. Really, the best solution is get a programmable EVSE like a ChargePoint or JuiceBox where the schedule can be set on that unit itself. You may want to buy an L2 charger anyway since at 120V / 12A you'll only be able to charge 30% of the battery in that 8-hour window.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:15 pm 

Quote:
Really, the best solution is get a programmable EVSE like a ChargePoint or JuiceBox where the schedule can be set on that unit itself. You may want to buy an L2 charger anyway since at 120V / 12A you'll only be able to charge 30% of the battery in that 8-hour window.

I do plan to put in a Level 2 EVSE but I’m limited to having a max 16amp unit because that’s all our electrical service can handle. I’ve only been able to find a Clipper Creek LCS-20 from a reputable seller, but the LCS-20 doesn’t have the ability to set a schedule. Chargepoint mentions a 16amp version on their site, but they don’t seem to sell it anymore. Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:03 am 

Give juicebox a call. I’ll bet they will set one to 16A for you.
I have two JBs and they share the available current so not to exceed my homes availability of 48A. 60A breaker x 80% = 48A limit.

Barry

2015 500e
2015 E-Golf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:40 am 

@BarryMW - Thanks for the tip. I think I’ll give them a call and see if they can customize something for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 am 

manybees wrote:
Chargepoint mentions a 16amp version on their site, but they don’t seem to sell it anymore. Any other suggestions?

I periodically see used ones on eBay. Sometimes it's just the charger, but it's easy to buy a new cord direct from ChargePoint. JuiceBox is a nice option too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:24 am 

You can go into "settings" on a Juicebox40 pro, and set the charge limit to 16 amps, and you'll be good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:22 pm 

Quote:
You can go into "settings" on a JuiceBox40 pro, and set the charge limit to 16 amps, and you'll be good to go.

The Siemens Versicharge also has the same functionality of being able to stop down the amperage via dip switches. However, according to our building code, the breaker installed in the circuit box has to be able to deal with the maximum amperage setting of the device, so if you’ve got, say, a max 32 amp EVSE, then it needs a 40 amp breaker even if you set it internally to output, say, 16 amps. My (old) house’s electrical service can only handle a 20 amp, 240v circuit, hence my need for a 16 amp EVSE.

Last edited by manybees on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:24 pm 

johnnylingo wrote:
I periodically see used ones on eBay. Sometimes it's just the charger, but it's easy to buy a new cord direct from ChargePoint. JuiceBox is a nice option too.

Thanks for the tip. Hadn’t thought yet to check on eBay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:11 pm 

manybees wrote:
Quote:
so if you’ve got, say, a max 32 amp EVSE, then it needs a 40 amp breaker even if you set it internally to output, say, 16 amps.

The maximum current from a device set to 16Amps is......... 16Amps.
Else the breaker pops to protect the wiring.

Are you sure about the code needing 40A ?

Barry

2015 500e
2015 E-Golf