Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Driving 100% in B mode?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:12 am 

RonDawg wrote:
Keep in mind that I use B mode in the city because of having to frequently slow down. It doesn’t capture any more energy than using the brake pedal, it just means I can better modulate my speed using just the accelerator pedal instead.

Agreed. That and since I seem to be able to use B successfully, I'm not consuming my brake pads. I'm pretty sure I will not be doing a brake job anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:25 am 

RonDawg wrote:
On EV’s, when depressing the brake, the car first will try to use regen before the actual friction pads, unless you need a lot of braking power now (as in you slammed on the brakes) or the battery is too full to accept more charge. So I could drive around in D in the city and use the brake pedal more and get the same results. It’s more of a convenience thing.

This is true of the e-Golf and many other EVs. However, Tesla has chosen not to engage any additional regen when pressing the brake pedal. If you set the regen to "Low" in a Tesla, you will be giving up the majority of the kinetic energy in the car to the friction brakes. That is why the Low setting is only recommended for driving in low traction situations like ice and snow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:00 pm 

Thorallophon wrote:
However this does not account for terrain, traffic, weather, etc. So, for example, you arrive at the top of a steep downward slope. The cost of accelerating to get to the top is the same in both cases (regen vs coasting), so it's a wash from that standpoint.

This, I think, is the confusion here. It sounds like you want to find a mode and just stick with it all the time, but in reality you'll probably have better success coasting down the hill in D, and downshifting to D1, D2, D3, and B as appropriate to moderate your speed on the way down. The best way is always to find the braking mode that will keep the car at the speed you want it as it rolls down the hill.

Think of it this way, regen is BRAKES, not driving. In stop start traffic, B is great because you can guarantee that all the speed you lose is adding toward the regeneration. But if you're on the freeway doing 60 miles an hour you don't want to lose momentum, as it costs energy to speed back up (duh!). I understand what you're saying about coasting being a "loss" of energy that you never get back, but think of it this way. When costing, it might take lets say 500 feet to lose 10mph. If you're in B mode and lift your foot off the pedal you'll lose 10mph in a fraction of that distance. so you'd have to spend energy sooner to get back to 60mph than you would if you had been coasting. Overall, even with the regen putting energy back in the battery you'll have had to speed back up more times than you would have if costing, and ultimately it will cost you more energy.

Experiment, find the driving style that works for you best!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:48 pm 

Yes Sparklebeard, you nailed it. And I see your point. I recently tried experimenting on a longer trip and found that I lose focus after an hour or two of driving and often forget to switch from one mode to the other. I did however do more coasting as recommended and I think I did get a little more range, though it might have been within the plus/minus of range for that long a trip. So I guess, unless I'm really trying to stretch my range for a certain trip, I may end up sticking with just one mode for certain types of trips. or smarten the hell up. not sure which one yet. :)