Minimum Charge malfunction in 2017 eGolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently had to have software update on my infotainment system (DEC 2018) as the system was rebooting every 10 minutes. Cured the radio problem but now it blows right by my minimum charge level set (70%) and just keeps charging. Anyone else had this issue? No departure times are set.

Why would it stop charging if you don't have any timers set?

Normal behavior illustrated in this example:
Starting SOC = 20%, Minimum Charge Level = 50%, Maximum Charge Level = 100%, Departure Time = 7am.
At 8pm, plug in the car. The car charges to 50% then stops charging. Car calculates time to start charging based on departure time and voltage and current available from EVSE.
Charging time arrives, car starts charging, completes charging around 7am.

If you have a timer set, the button next to the charge port with the clock icon should be illuminated before plugging in.
If you don't have a timer set, the button next to the charge port with the plug icon should be illuminated before plugging in.

If the button with the plug icon is illuminated, then the car will just charge all the way to Maximum Charge Level without stopping.

It should stop because it has reached the minimum charge level.

Your description in paragraph 2 of how it should behave is correct. However my car does not stop charging at 50% Minimum Charge level.

I will check the icons next time I charge it.

Let's move this discussion to the ChargeTimer issues on the Technical forum

Are you certain it stopped at 50% before your recent repair?

My understanding of the "minimum charge level" is the charge% the 12V car battery is allowed to drop to before it is recharged by the larger battery pack.

The only way I know to keep it from charging to 100% is to configure a charging timer as suggested.

Incidentally - my radio system kept rebooting as well and had to be updated. That seemed to fix the issue.

The charging settings are only related to the traction (high voltage) battery pack. The 12V battery is automatically charged by the DC-DC converter and is not under driver control.

If the current SoC is below the minimum charge level and the car is set to delay charge (departure time setting), the charging will begin immediately upon plugging in the car and then will stop (until required, as per the timer) once the minimum charge is achieved- the car will then wait until a calculated time to begin charging again until the departure time maximum charge is achieved.

I am beginning to understand that the minimum charge level will only stop the car charging if there is a subsequent departure time programmed. If no departure time is programmed then it charges to full right away. Could this be the case?

johnennals said:
I am beginning to understand that the minimum charge level will only stop the car charging if there is a subsequent departure time programmed. If no departure time is programmed then it charges to full right away. Could this be the case?

Perhaps I'm missing something but does anything else make sense?

If there are no charge schedules in the e-Manager then it's going to charge to full as soon as you plug it in (unless your EVSE has a delayed charge feature).

The purpose of the minimum battery setting is set a level you want the battery charged to immediately when you're using a charge schedule to complete charging at a later time. For example, you get home from work with 25% charge and plug in with a scheduled charge to complete by 7 AM for your commute. But just in case you need to make an unexpected errand in the evening you set the minimum battery level to 50%. So it charges to 50% as soon as it's plugged in, stops charging, then resumes early in the morning so it's complete by 7 AM. 'Complete' is 100% by default but you can create a Battery + Climate Profile to charge to a lower level.

Back