Tires for Electric Cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that the Toyo Versado Eco Tires are really designed for electric/hybrid cars. Are they really worth buying? How different is it to regular tires?

Eco friendly tires, such as the factory Ecopia EP422 Plus, are designed for lower weight (reduces rotating mass), lower rolling resistance, and longer tire life. These benefits come at the expense of wet and dry traction. Decide on your priorities, and then choose.

Just a point of reference, but My 2015 had ProContact TX Continentals from the factory. They’re not conspicuously marketed as an eco tire, but I did notice on TireRack that they weigh the same 19lbs as the Ecopias. MY GoM was starting each day with 73 miles of range on an 80% charge. I’m much more satisfied with the ride, handling, and feel of the PureContact LS Continentals I just put on, but I’m seeing more like 68 miles on the GoM at 80% charge now. The PureContact LS IS an eco tire, but it weighs-in at a typical “anytire” 21lbs. Go figure. (I’m running the same 41psi I did on the TXs)

Back