A Moment of Appreciation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just take a moment here to appreciate with you all the beautiful fit and finish of our cars? This post serves literally no purpose other than to gush about these cars that we already love.

I've been under some personal stress recently so I've been driving my commute with the radio off to just appreciate some silence each day. A side effect of this has been realising just how little rattle and squeak there is from interior panels and all those other little minor annoyances that have bothered me about previous cars I've driven. And by little I mean none.

I know part of this is that it doesn't vibrate like an ICE car, but even driving on some pretty rough roads the car always feels solid and there's never something rattling away behind the dash. I was even amazed that I could put my house keys in the little compartment below left the steering wheel and not hear them knocking around (though this is probably mostly because of the lack of vibrating ICE). The materials and buttons and everything that you interact with also a really good texture and feel and it seems like its actually attached properly unlike the flimsy buttons and switches I've experienced before.

I had to rent an ICE during a trip out of state a little while back, and I ended up in a pretty well specced Cadillac. All I could think was how plastic, faux-rich and ostentatious it felt. The buttons were all 'touch sensitive' cheap plastic panels that would have even felt tacky on a Honda Fit let alone a vehicle double the price of a new e-Golf. It felt like the few physical buttons that remained were so cheap that they would inevitably fall off within a year.

As I said, this is a pretty pointless post but I just wanted to share :lol:

Rag on VW reliability all you want, but at least when the car's new, you can't argue about the fit and finish. It really does feel more premium.

I came from a Nissan Leaf which although was dead reliable also had the soul of a toaster. It was easier to get in/out of due to its taller profile, and the seats were comfy, but many of the interior components left a lot to be desired. In just 2 years the driver's side bolster closest to the door began showing signs of wear and even Leaf owners joke about the "spray-on" carpet which is ridiculously thin and also was showing wear in an area unprotected by the factory floor mat. This in a car which in 3 years racked up less than 27k miles. The sound insulation on that car was also lacking.

My eGolf which is almost at the same mileage (albeit over a slightly longer time frame) shows absolutely no signs of wear on the interior. It looks brand new inside and out, except for where I scraped the lower front valance while exiting the steep driveway at my sister's house.

Coming up on 3.5 years of age, just over 20k miles. Not a squeak, a rattle, nothing, but dead silence, except the little growler motor to notify pedestrians at any speeds under, I believe 17 mph. I haven't had any reliability issues with mine yet, knock on wood.

Back