Please Help me decide?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wejhawk

I will get delivered my 2016 e-golf in three weeks. I purchased it from Carvana, and awaiting my delivery.
Does anybody think that an Electric Car can benefit from the Carvana Vehicle Protection Option that is offered to me? Has anybody taken advantage of this program? I'm really undecided about this extended program. :?:

Protect from what? It depends what the program covers. EVs have few mechanical parts to break or wear out compared to an ICE car. It looks to me like VW over-designed the electronics (because they did not get a fully integrated electronics package, but instead went for individual dedicated components connected by heavy duty wiring) and there is good cooling for the high voltage, heavy power units, so I suspect those components will last a long time.

Depends what it covers, but the short answer is it's probably not worth it. There's been no real major issues with the 2015s or 2016s. Mine still operates same as the day I got it, and that's pretty typical. Looking long-term I think the greatest headache might be simple battery degradation, and I highly doubt any 3rd-party warranty will touch that given the astronomical costs of replacing batteries. I'll still be covered by VW's 70% capacity for up to 8 years / 100k miles guarantee, although nobody's put that to the test yet.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on cost, how much it covers calculated against how long you plan to keep the car and how much you can (or wish to) DIY. It may be better to just sock the money away into a maintenance fund. If/when you decide to move on from the e-Golf use whatever may be left towards your next car. Depends on your comfort level and wherewithal.

VW/Audi suspensions like to have new moving parts somewhere between 50-100k miles depending on usage and how particular the owners are. At 44k miles our 2015 SEL is still tight and quiet, no problems there yet. Fairly easy wrenching but parts can get expensive, but not too bad.

Electrical stuff such as infotainment touch panel displays can get pricey if not able to DIY (and probably tricky and time consuming if DIY).

So, suspension parts that wear, the occasional wheel bearing, maybe transaxle internals (slight chance--I think there are some bearings and clutch packs but not sure), CV joints, electrical stuff such as door lock modules, infotainment modules, etc., _could_ (but probably won't) fail during the extended warranty period. So far the propulsion parts seem pretty robust.

Looking at used Tesla Model Ss there appear to be a significant number that have had motors, motor control modules, batteries, etc. (read ultra expensive repairs), not to mention $1k each door handles, replaced mostly under extended warranty between 50-100k miles. Maybe that is because Tesla pushes the envelope a little more than the normal carmaker, or perhaps their quality is as bad as recently reported by Consumer Reports (I don't think it is), so EVs can be high cost cars to fix despite fewer moving parts.

The warranty most likely does not cover the battery, the most expensive part on the car, but factory does for 8 years/100k anyway.

My hunch is an extended warranty will probably not pay off on an e-Golf unless you have coverage to 100k miles or beyond and plan to keep/drive the car that far. Even then you're kinda gambling against yourself (like an insurance policy).

Edit: After a little research (see link) https://www.bbb.org/us/az/phoenix/p...ies/silverrock-inc-1126-1000038860/complaints I would shy away. They cover a lot of things but what is the term and what is the cost? A growing list of BBB complaints is a bit of a concern.

Back