DriveEasy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

I know that buying the protection plan tends to be a losing proposition, but I caved and did it anyway based on the fact that I had a GTI before and even replacing the dang headlights cost a couple hundred bucks. While I feel like a fair part of the reason I got an electric car is the lack of necessary maintenance, given that I drive a lot (~25k miles/yr) on our...not 100% pothole-free roads in LA, could the plan possibly be worth it? Are there any types of repairs that people are seeing?

bruins said:
I know that buying the protection plan tends to be a losing proposition, but I caved and did it anyway based on the fact that I had a GTI before and even replacing the dang headlights cost a couple hundred bucks. While I feel like a fair part of the reason I got an electric car is the lack of necessary maintenance, given that I drive a lot (~25k miles/yr) on our...not 100% pothole-free roads in LA, could the plan possibly be worth it? Are there any types of repairs that people are seeing?

If you drive a lot, it could be worth it. But do make sure you use it as much as you can to make it worthwhile. Basically, my theory with extended warranties and the like is that if I do shell out for it, then I should not accept living with any flaws in the product.

Ultimately, EVs have fewer parts to fail, and chances are the big ticket items like the motor and battery aren't going to need repairs however its still a Golf and has the same failure rate for the components it shares with other Golf models. As you said, headlights are very expensive but the LED units in particular don't seem like common failure points. Do you have the LED, adaptive LED, or Halogen on the e-Golf?

The only failures I have heard of the e-Golf encountering have been:
- A serious drivetrain computer issue that disabled 2015 models, I believe there was a software update recall that resolved that issue.
- People ending up with broken charge ports due to physical impacts to charge handles while charging; this is an expensive repair due to needing to dismount the battery from the vehicle to route the cables. I have never personally had this issue, and hope I never do. Not sure if this would be covered under the plan you bought. The person I've seen posting about it got the run around from VW and had to file an insurance claim.
- Someone on here was posting about their car not charging on their home charger, but I think that was resolved externally to the vehicle itself. VW recently applied a software update to my 2016's onboard charger. No idea what the update did, but I hadn't experienced any charging issues before hand. They told me it had thrown a code but I don't actually know.

Overall, these seem so far to be exceptionally reliable cars.

Back