Apple CarPlay / Mirror Link VW eGolf 2015 / CES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV4NYC

Hey Guys,

At CES, there is a youtube video detailing that the eGolf will have mirror link (to bring in android/iPhone into the eGolf's cabin, they said that this will happen before 2016. Does anyone know if the current infotainment setup will be updatable to support mirrorlink?

FYI youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYPjFgTT4wU

The current system in the 2015 does not support MirrorLink or CarPlay or AndroidAuto. This is coming I believe to the 2016 which will be out later this year. You can read more about the arrival of these systems (and some other really cool features) here in this release from VW

jmarie5000 said:
The current system in the 2015 does not support MirrorLink or CarPlay or AndroidAuto. This is coming I believe to the 2016 which will be out later this year. You can read more about the arrival of these systems (and some other really cool features) here in this release from VW

It says nothing about it being for 2016, it says they want to bring it out by the end of the year, and the radio they show looks like the current model. Hopefully it will be a Software update for us 2015 early adopters.

tangoshukudai said:
It says nothing about it being for 2016, it says they want to bring it out by the end of the year, and the radio they show looks like the current model. Hopefully it will be a Software update for us 2015 early adopters.

I certainly don't claim to know any of this for sure, but I did a bunch of reading the days after this was announced and one thing I saw a few times was that the new system is called "MIB II". From everything I can find, the system in the 2015 e-Golf is "MIB". Also I saw a few times that the 2016 have a larger touch screen (and let's hope better resolution!). Both of these facts strongly lead me to believe that the new system will be a hardware change, and not just software. My biggest hope is that the rest of the dash remains the same and we can simply swap out the "MIB" hardware for "MIB II" hardware. (Although I can only guess there will be a steep price to pay for this which may not make it worthwhile.)

Yes, it is different hardware. While I hope for the sake of the early adopters that there will be a software update, it seems unlikely as there are certain technical requirements that have to be in place for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay that the first generation of hardware might not be able to support. Some of this information comes from VW media (I had to work on a piece covering the tech) and other from Google at an Android Auto briefing I attended at Google I/O their developer conference.

From the September 2015 Motor Trend:

"Minor changes": USB ports added, a new infotainment system integrating Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Autonomous emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring system with rear cross-traffic alert and lane keep assist. The e-Golf adds a new SE model.

s4alex said:
I wonder if it will be easy enough to swap out the MDI for the USB.

You can buy a cable to do it for $13:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SQ0VWE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Unbeliever said:
s4alex said:
I wonder if it will be easy enough to swap out the MDI for the USB.

You can buy a cable to do it for $13:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SQ0VWE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Yeah, but non OEM and the connector isn't the greatest. The location of the MDI plug makes the cord bend in an unnatural way that I do not think would be good in the long run.

I already have an MDI connector with microUSB and its fine, but wish I had the USB plug instead.

Back