e-golf insurance a rip-off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okaycoral

I just got an insurance quote for my proposed e-golf. All the $$ I save on gas and repairs will be eaten up by the increased insurance cost. $1400/year to insure a second car for a single driver.

Even if I drop collision, comprehensive, etc and just buy liability its still a lot higher than my 10 year old Lexus and this would be a second car. I can't drive both at once. Everyone else is encouraging electric cars except for insurance companies. OK so maybe the cost to repair is higher but there are no repairs claims in a liability only policy.

Electric cars are expensive to replace and (especially in the case of Tesla’s it seems) quickly get considered total losses. Still, that does seem unusual for liability only insurance.

Have you compared it against the cost of insurance a GTI or Golf TSi of the same year model/MSRP?

okaycoral said:
I just got an insurance quote for my proposed e-golf. All the $$ I save on gas and repairs will be eaten up by the increased insurance cost. $1400/year to insure a second car for a single driver.

Even if I drop collision, comprehensive, etc and just buy liability its still a lot higher than my 10 year old Lexus and this would be a second car. I can't drive both at once. Everyone else is encouraging electric cars except for insurance companies. OK so maybe the cost to repair is higher but there are no repairs claims in a liability only policy.

Find a new insurance company. My cost to insure my 2015 eGolf SEL Premium was nearly identical to the car it replaced (2014 Lexus CT200h).

I had sticker shock as well, but we always owned older cars (10-20+ years old). I assumed part of the reason for the much higher rate was due to the car being newer along with the EV premium.

We currently pay $1131/yr with a $500 collision deductable and high limits of liability (100/300). We have three cars on this insurance policy for multi-car discounts and our home is insured with the same company also..

Insurance costs vary by location. Washington State and California have the highest but still I'm paying just under $900/yr for my 2016 SE with State Farm for a $250 deductible and the max $100k/$250k/$500k coverage. This is under their umbrella policy with home and multiple cars

My i3 is an even $1000/yr and that's a $60k car, so guess I'm getting a good deal all around

Back