Long Term (3 months) Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boibos

I have to leave my beloved 2019 eGolf home alone this summer. It will be garaged (and possibly covered - not sure if I should cut the cover to allow for the plug). My research has found that it should be left at 30-60% battery charge. I assume that since I am leaving it for so long that I should leave it plugged in and set the computer to maintain the charge. However, issues pop up in the research (not regarding eGolf's - I cant find any specifics) about draining the 12v battery.
Has anyone had experience with this?
Thanks!

3 months is not a long time for an e-Golf. The systems in the car are very good at completely shutting down, unlike some other EVs. If you want to be conservative, leave the traction battery at 50% and put the 12V on a tender. Also, pump up the tires to the maximum listed on the sidewall of the tire. Make sure to lower it back to the pressure on the door jamb sticker before you drive it again.

IIRC, one guy left his e-Golf for 9 or 10 months doing nothing but leaving it garaged with nothing plugged in and the 12V was fine and the traction battery was exactly as he left it.

miimura said:
IIRC, one guy left his e-Golf for 9 or 10 months doing nothing but leaving it garaged with nothing plugged in and the 12V was fine and the traction battery was exactly as he left it.

Doesn't the car use the HV battery as a built-in battery minder? Like you said, the e-Golf is really good at not wasting power when shut down so I can't imagine three months of it basically doing nothing but checking in with car-net (if applicable) and tending the 12V would drop the SOC much!

Update

On May 24th, I left the eGolf with 67miles to empty, unplugged, and without a battery tender on the 12V. I checked it several times with the Carnet app, and it always showed the battery at 67mte. Unfortunately, on June 25th, Carnet stopped communicating via the app. July 7th, I had a friend start the car and confirm that it was still at 67mte. My husband and teenage kids came home on August 19th and moved it around a few times (love the alert on my phone!). By my arrival on Sept 1st, the charge was at 64mte (also, the a/c was on high so I know that alone may have dropped the mte).

Bottom line - no need to plug in the car

Thanks for your advice!
Now to figure out why Carnet stopped working.

boibos said:
Now to figure out why Carnet stopped working.

I know some cars after a certain amount of time (one week, two weeks, not sure) of not being used they go into a sort of deep sleep and turn off all electronics. My dads Porsche sits for 6 months over the winter without a charger and the 12v battery is still mostly charged and starts the car just fine. Perhaps the eGolf does the same thing and disconnects the 12v battery and as such Carnet can no longer communicate with the car?

Back