Calling all egolf and Tesla owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egolfEr

There appears to be many eGolf owners that own Teslas as well. Recently, I was contemplating purchasing my 3rd EV ( 2016 eGolf, Tesla MS 90d, and the next one). Originally, I was going to get a base model 3, after rebates and all...it was coming out to $26k. The recent discounting on eGolfs, made me reconsider as these are going for $10kish.

So my question is what sort of premium are people willing to pay for a Tesla ( w/o autopiolot & FSD) vs more simple, less range EV like a 2019 eGolf SE with DAV?

Please share your thoughts.

I wouldn't buy a Tesla period. Reasons are quite simple really:

1) I don't believe the company is going to survive. (I have no investments in Tesla, so this is just my opinion.)
2) Long body repair wait times. (Reinforces reason #1.)

Yeah the press is very negative on Tesla...namely because the biggest customers of advertising are big oil, insurance, internet providers...Tesla is trying to disrupt about 10 Trillion worth of buinesses from EVs, batterires, Insurance, internet providers, deployment of satellites.

Don't believe on the FUD. Amazon lost money for 10 years...look at them now. Wall street only looks for 1 to 2 Quarters out.

egolfEr said:
Don't believe on the FUD. Amazon lost money for 10 years...look at them now. Wall street only looks for 1 to 2 Quarters out.

I'm not making a strong argument either way for Tesla's survival, but the comparison to Amazon is tenuous as Amazon has had great cash flow the whole time, they just reinvested everything. Tesla's cash flow is nothing like Amazon's.

To the main topic at hand, I chose the eGolf over a Model 3 because the eGolf is just a nicer 'car' than the Tesla. As much as I've love to take road trips across the country all the time, I realistically know I wouldn't do it as often as I fantasise about it in my head, and I can always rent a Tesla on Turo for the weekend if I want to drive to LA.

The DAP on the e-Golves with the lane tracking camera is actually very good. Especially if you get Traffic Jam Assistance enabled. It does all the things I really want from "autopilot". It's Fancy Cruise Control.

I'm also pretty confident that if the worst happens and I get into a wreck, repairs will be quick because its just a Golf.

I would agree for utilitarian transport its hard to beat the eGolf for the price. Not sure what you paid for the SEL...but he SE with DAV. is so low priced..if the car lasts 300k miles...it's about 3.3 cents per mile to own. If you have solar....$.01 cents/mile to drive a mile. So you are at .043 cents for the asset purchase and the cost for fuel....kind of un heard of.

TCO ownership $13k to drive 300k miles...assuming no major repair and not factoring in tires. Kind of of amazing.

The driving experience in the egolf is not that bad either. I do like driving my Model S, and is also very inexpensive to drive with little to no maintenance..the asset costs are obviously much higher.

egolfEr said:
I would agree for utilitarian transport its hard to beat the eGolf for the price. Not sure what you paid for the SEL...but he SE with DAV. is so low priced..if the car lasts 300k miles...it's about 3.3 cents per mile to own. If you have solar....$.01 cents/mile to drive a mile. So you are at .043 cents for the asset purchase and the cost for fuel....kind of un heard of.

TCO ownership $13k to drive 300k miles...assuming no major repair and not factoring in tires. Kind of of amazing.

The driving experience in the egolf is not that bad either. I do like driving my Model S, and is also very inexpensive to drive with little to no maintenance..the asset costs are obviously much higher.

Out the door was about $33k, then I will get the $10k of credit/rebate off of that. For a net $23k car there's really not much I can complain about with the SEL. Model 3 for ~$39k out the door with would have had more range and a quicker 0-60 but the maintenance and insurance costs would drive the price up, I'd get less of a tax credit back, and the SEL has nicer interior features (and I like the size of the Golf. Parking it is 100% effortless.)

Also it has CarPlay and the Tesla doesn't.

I'm curious, do model 3 headlights do the AFS beam stuff that the highline Golf headlights do?

Honestly the eGolf doesn't compare to Model 3 at all in terms of driving experience or any other vector. The $39k M3 has almsot 3x the range of eGolf ( 325 miles)...it has autopilot and bunch of other features, over the air updates and improvements. Plus access to the charging network, 12,000 chargers in the US. Even if compared to the off menu $35k Model 3...with 240 mi range...eGolf wouldnt measure up. My experience was I when I got a eGolf for $10k or a M3 base for $26k with all rebates and credits in...that is when the eGolf was 62% lower than the Tesla...it kind was okay as a 3rd car. I agree with with you regarding long drives. I would however, urge anyone who hasn't taken a test drive of a M3 performance or MS performance, to do so. Its no cost, easy to do, and no pressures sales. Ask for a drive, drive it and walk away. In fact before I bought my car, Tesla was giving me a car to take home overnight no cost, no obligation. Their buying experience is 1000 times better than everyone else.

With all this said the eGolf still has a nice place in house, no frills transport and very low cost.

I believe in family vehicle diversity. My wife and I have always owned two cars with different characteristics. Before I went EV, we had a Passat Wagon and an Accord sedan. The Accord was replaced by the RAV4 EV and the Passat was replaced by a 2015 e-Golf. The e-Golf was replaced by a Model 3.

Since you already have a Model S and an e-Golf, I don't see a compelling reason for another e-Golf or a Model 3. I would look at other options like a Niro EV that will give you different functionality like cargo space. On the other hand, since you already have a long range EV, maybe the e-Golf is a good choice to save some money. If you haven't driven a Model 3, you should. That may make the decision more obvious, depending on your priorities. It is different than both the Model S and the e-Golf.

They would have to pay me to drive the Niro or the Kona...sorry to offend anyone. The styling of the eGolf is sophisticated...in line with A4...the design language of the MS is something I like..build quality is still not the best for that kind of money. The model 3, is okay...the faded wood, the single screen..not my first choice, but acceptable. Exterior is nice, performance is good on the P3. The Korean made cars...the styling is aweful...the specs look good as the Kona has one of the best mi/kwH.

egolfEr said:
Yeah the press is very negative on Tesla.

If anything, there hasn't been enough bad press about parts availability. I know people who have waited for months for parts, well beyond the time their insurance will pay for a rental. You're basically paying for a car and insurance and depreciation to be parked for months with no end in sight. Thanks but no thanks.

That was the case a few years ago...pretty overblown. The mass media press is able to cajole the masses into thinking what they want to manipulate stock price and slow down the inevitable disruption. Tesla is light years ahead of Mercedies, Audi, and VW. They have built several moats including the charging network, vertical alignment of development vis a vie multiple gigafactories etc. Even if you compare the 2012 Original Model S from 7 years ago, hardly any car can compare to that. By this September they will have a 400 mile car, an updated redesign. Should be interesting.

When you look at the id.3, or the VW electric microbus, it is really hard to get excited. In fact many of the reasons that folks bought an egolf instead of a leaf are being negated by the id.3 It screams way to much that it is an electric car.

egolfEr said:
That was the case a few years ago...pretty overblown.

Not overblown. Still the case, and his car still hasn't gotten back. I'm glad you're happy with your Tesla and E-Golf, but the the Tesla owner forums (not the mass media) speak for themselves.

I read and post on TMC as well, yes parts have been an issue. But if I had to repair similar car like a Panamera, 911, Mercedes GT how long would it take? The expectation should not be that I can repair a Jetta in 3-4 weeks..and thus a MS is going to be the same. M3 should have a faster repair time, as there are way more M3s than MSs.

With that said, I wouldn't not buy a car for that reason. Tesla is worlds ahead of everyone else, with the exception of build quality. I would say my eGolf has better build quality than my 2016 MS. M3 has improved build quality, and the refreshed MS and MX this fall will improve further.

Beyond this, Tesla is so far ahead in software, features, range, charging, charging network, driving experience, autonomous driving..... You can now pickup a '14 Model S for $30kish with 60k miles. EVs are made for 300-500k miles so at 60k miles its bareley a teenager. :)

egolfEr said:
M3 should have a faster repair time, as there are way more M3s than MSs.

It should, but it doesn't. Being a Tesla forum poster, you already know this.

egolfEr said:
With that said, I wouldn't not buy a car for that reason. Tesla is worlds ahead of everyone else, with the exception of build quality.

Your money, your choice. You asked for the opinions of others and I've given mine.

egolfEr said:
You can now pickup a '14 Model S for $30kish with 60k miles. EVs are made for 300-500k miles so at 60k miles its bareley a teenager. :)

What do used cars have to do with your original question?

I guess I take issue with you poo pooing Tesla, when you don't even own one and are making a judgement on one vector, and that too through a "friend".

egolfEr said:
I guess I take issue with you poo pooing Tesla, when you don't even own one and are making a judgement on one vector, and that too through a "friend".

You asked for my thoughts and I gave them. You love your Tesla and that's good, but don't let it blind you to the point where you can no longer hear a differing opinion, and feel obligated to muddle a point with used car values or proclamations of Tesla's innovation. Your question was: "What sort of premium are people willing to pay for a Tesla?" My answer is: "I'm not willing to pay a premium." Perhaps if I was in your situation to afford 3 brand new cars, let alone 1 brand new Model S, then perhaps then I won't care so much about long body repair times since I would have 2 other cars to use.

Until that time comes, I'll be cruising silently in my "so far [behind] in software, features, range, charging, charging network, driving experience, and autonomous driving" e-Golf.

egolfEr said:
In fact many of the reasons that folks bought an egolf instead of a leaf are being negated by the id.3 It screams way to much that it is an electric car.

So you went and bought a Tesla instead, for the anonymity...

2016golfse said:
You love your Tesla and that's good, but don't let it blind you to the point where you can no longer hear a differing opinion, and feel obligated to muddle a point with used car values or proclamations of Tesla's innovation.

Unfortunately that seems to be a common trait among Tesla owners/fans. You cannot say anything remotely negative about the brand, or its founder, without considerable pushback. It's truly "drinking the kool-aid" level of devotion, with all their conspiracy theories about various entities wanting Tesla to fail.

please read the title of the thread,

I have raised several negatives about Tesla...build quality...service center wait times ( that I have personally experienced)...certainly not drinking the kool-aid...as I mentioned I ended up buying another eGolf over a Model 3...because at $10k after rebates there is tremendous value in this car.

I wanted some honest feedback from "owners" of both vehicles..and not people who spread FUD based on my "friend" said this or that abut Tesla.

I love my eGolf SE...it is a great car for the purpose it serves...an incredible value. Tesla is also an incredible value.

I would agree not everyone has $135k to spend on this...but a M3 for $26k vs a eGolf SEL for $21k after all rebates...Tesla also has tremendous value.

2016golfse said:
egolfEr said:

You asked for my thoughts and I gave them. You love your Tesla and that's good, but don't let it blind you to the point where you can no longer hear a differing opinion, and feel obligated to muddle a point with used car values or proclamations of Tesla's innovation. Your question was: "What sort of premium are people willing to pay for a Tesla?" My answer is: "I'm not willing to pay a premium." Perhaps if I was in your situation to afford 3 brand new cars, let alone 1 brand new Model S, then perhaps then I won't care so much about long body repair times since I would have 2 other cars to use.

Until that time comes, I'll be cruising silently in my "so far [behind] in software, features, range, charging, charging network, driving experience, and autonomous driving" e-Golf.

LoL...whatever dude...looks like you got issues. Please read the the title of the thread I created with honest feedback from OWNERS....

I didn't ask for your thoughts, you are NOT an owner...

Sorry, but I responded to the subject of the thread. It sounds like you meant to call all owners of BOTH e-Golf's and Tesla's. If that's the case, didn't all of those people ALREADY pay whatever price difference between the two vehicles?

Back