Volkswagen E Golf. Do you agree?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qurnn4

Looks like VW have seriously missed the boat with this new launch.
150 miles is just not going to cut it, not with companies like Hyundai and Kia bringing cars out with 200-300 mile ranges.
When I saw the advert I thought, ooh, that could be my next taxi, because I would like to switch to 100% electric for my next taxi, but with that sort of range it’s not even a contender.

Wouldn’t you wait for the ID3? The e-Golf is at the end of its development cycle. The longer range model you’re referring to came out a few years ago.

150 miles? Is that the WLTP range? Where did you see that? The 2017-2019 e-Golf (35.8 kWh) has an EPA range of 125 miles. While NEDC range was wildly optimistic, even WLTP is over promising. The EPA range is the closest to real world range estimates. Of course, if you hammer it and it's super cold, you won't get the EPA range, either.

You have to understand that the eGolf came out as a 2015 model, and the original 24 kWH battery was the same as that of the Leaf of that time period. Putting in a bigger battery would have made the car unaffordable; as it was the 2015 SEL stickered for around $36k. At that time, only Tesla and Tesla-powered (RAV4 EV and Mercedes B-Class EV) cars had significantly bigger batteries. (I am not counting the original Kia Soul EV as its battery was only 3kWH bigger.) Even the same year BMW i3's battery was only 22 kWH.

200+ mile cars like the Bolt and Kona EV are newer designs and take advantage of more affordable battery prices, allowing the manufacturers to stick larger batteries for the same price as a sub-100 mile EV of just a few years earlier.

VW was able to increase the battery size by 50% without significant (and expensive) changes to the car. Otherwise it's an interim model until the ID series becomes available. And we won't get that here in North America until at least 2021.

And I don't know what "new launch" you're talking about. The eGolf is woefully under-advertised and even us fans often don't know if the next model year has shown up until we have seen them in dealers.

As a taxi? Come on. Of course it's doable. An average NYC taxi drives 180 miles in a 12 hour shift. The e-Golf gets 125 miles in cold weather, and more like 175 in warm weather. So halfway through your shift you hit up a DC fast charging station during your a meal break. Charge more often if you can, or want to.

Back