Difference between 80% and 90% battery charge level

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone here had documented the difference in battery voltage at various state of charge and they had shown why it is better to charge to 80% to get the most life out of the battery. I tried searching for this info but I could not find it. Essentially, the synopsis was you get on the order of magnitude more life from the battery by not exceeding the 80% mark.

I have searched and I can' locate this info. :-(

Or read this:

https://pushevs.com/2018/04/27/battery-charging-full-versus-partial/

FYI at 80% the 35.8 kWh e-Golf cell voltage is 3.94V by my measurements. Charge to 80% routinely and you will have much less degradation than at 100%.

f1geek said:
Or read this:

https://pushevs.com/2018/04/27/battery-charging-full-versus-partial/

FYI at 80% the 35.8 kWh e-Golf cell voltage is 3.94V by my measurements. Charge to 80% routinely and you will have much less degradation than at 100%.

Thanks for this info. This and the above link is precisely what I was looking for.

I was just wondering if I was to charge to full 100% for an extended drive, will the gauge marker go to full 1? I just got the car and I have not charged this to 100% yet and all the videos I have seen on know your vw site show the red line always below 1. So I was curious how high does that charge gauge go? Also, is there a digital representation of SOC or this analog gauge in the speedometer cluster is the only marker of the charge level.

You should charge to 80% on a regular basis to extend the life of the pack but occasional charging to 100% for long trips is something I do if need the full range of the pack. If I could afford a 200 mile car, I would probably never charge to 100%, but I saved at least $15k by getting an e-Golf, so I will live with the occasional 100% charge. The "fuel" gauge will go to 1 when you charge to 100%. There is no digital representation unless you use a dongle and software (like OBDEleven) to directly tap into the car's computer (where everything is digital).

coupedncal1 said:
I was just wondering if I was to charge to full 100% for an extended drive, will the gauge marker go to full 1? I just got the car and I have not charged this to 100% yet and all the videos I have seen on know your vw site show the red line always below 1. So I was curious how high does that charge gauge go? Also, is there a digital representation of SOC or this analog gauge in the speedometer cluster is the only marker of the charge level.

If you charge to 100%, the analog needle will point to full. The analog gauge is the only marker of charge level in the vehicle. If you go the carnet website (not app) and click on the battery tab, you'll see an image of the battery's state of charge in 10% increments. But if you shrink your browser's window, a numeric state of charge to the nearest percent is now displayed. That's the only way I know of to see a numeric percentage.

2016golfse said:
coupedncal1 said:

If you charge to 100%, the analog needle will point to full. The analog gauge is the only marker of charge level in the vehicle. If you go the carnet website (not app) and click on the battery tab, you'll see an image of the battery's state of charge in 10% increments. But if you shrink your browser's window, a numeric state of charge to the nearest percent is now displayed. That's the only way I know of to see a numeric percentage.

I just tried your recommendation and that worked beautifully. Great tip!!!

Back