Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: e-Golf with 230mi range! Hypermile or Hyperbole?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:10 pm 

Just got home from work and managed 7.1mi/kWh. Assuming 33kWh usable battery, that's over 230mi! The GoM hasn't caught up to that yet, probably because it knows that literally nobody except perhaps JoulesThief would want to drive 230mi at the pace required to get there in an e-Golf. I was impressed by this, since I had never got better than 6.6 in the 2016 which typically gets better city mi/kWh than the 2019.

(My commute is only a 5mi drive on local streets and is 100% Silicon Valley pancake flat, so this isn't actually that impressive)

Post subject: Re: e-Golf with 230mi range! Hypermile or Hyperbole?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:58 pm 

Sparklebeard wrote:

Just got home from work and managed 7.1mi/kWh. Assuming 33kWh usable battery, that's over 230mi! The GoM hasn't caught up to that yet, probably because it knows that literally nobody except perhaps JoulesThief would want to drive 230mi at the pace required to get there in an e-Golf. I was impressed by this, since I had never got better than 6.6 in the 2016 which typically gets better city mi/kWh than the 2019.

(My commute is only a 5mi drive on local streets and is 100% Silicon Valley pancake flat, so this isn't .1actually that impressive)

Interesting, to say the least, as far as I am concerned. I also had a freak reading today too, doing 13 miles, in 95F temps, with windows cracked 2" and surface streets with an average speed of 27 MPH, also 7.1 miles / kWh. I am thinking the battery chemistry at said temp yields more voltage and lower current draw, as well as density compensation and lower wind resistance at those temps, if you can keep the AC off, is what's giving those readings, high temps has hardly any warm up of drive train, when you are parked on black top and it warms your battery up, as well as gear box oil and CV joint moly grease. Very short to no warmup.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:46 pm 

Would not surprise me if the batteries can provide more power at higher ambient temps. Not sure how much heat played a factor for me today though. I park in an underground lot and it was about 70 when I left work

definitely makes it easy to drive with the windows down instead of the AC blasting!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 am 

Sparklebeard wrote:
Would not surprise me if the batteries can provide more power at higher ambient temps. Not sure how much heat played a factor for me today though. I park in an underground lot and it was about 70 when I left work

definitely makes it easy to drive with the windows down instead of the AC blasting!

I would say that if you can average 7.1 mi /kWh for the whole discharge cycle, you would certainly have a range of over 200 to 210 miles capability on level ground, on a charge cycle. Your car and battery is new, and that pretty much matches my 2015 when new seeing 129 miles of range, a few times I even saw it go to 131 miles of range on a full recharge, though not very often. multiply those by 1.5 and that's 195 miles.

It's known that VW engineered in some more efficiencies in the 2017,18 and 19 models, so, I'd certainly consider it possible, under optimum conditions.