e-Golf with 230mi range! Hypermile or Hyperbole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jHZVJF7.jpg

Just got home from work and managed 7.1mi/kWh. Assuming 33kWh usable battery, that's over 230mi! The GoM hasn't caught up to that yet, probably because it knows that literally nobody except perhaps JoulesThief would want to drive 230mi at the pace required to get there in an e-Golf. I was impressed by this, since I had never got better than 6.6 in the 2016 which typically gets better city mi/kWh than the 2019.

(My commute is only a 5mi drive on local streets and is 100% Silicon Valley pancake flat, so this isn't actually that impressive)

Sparklebeard said:
jHZVJF7.jpg

Just got home from work and managed 7.1mi/kWh. Assuming 33kWh usable battery, that's over 230mi! The GoM hasn't caught up to that yet, probably because it knows that literally nobody except perhaps JoulesThief would want to drive 230mi at the pace required to get there in an e-Golf. I was impressed by this, since I had never got better than 6.6 in the 2016 which typically gets better city mi/kWh than the 2019.

(My commute is only a 5mi drive on local streets and is 100% Silicon Valley pancake flat, so this isn't .1actually that impressive)

Interesting, to say the least, as far as I am concerned. I also had a freak reading today too, doing 13 miles, in 95F temps, with windows cracked 2" and surface streets with an average speed of 27 MPH, also 7.1 miles / kWh. I am thinking the battery chemistry at said temp yields more voltage and lower current draw, as well as density compensation and lower wind resistance at those temps, if you can keep the AC off, is what's giving those readings, high temps has hardly any warm up of drive train, when you are parked on black top and it warms your battery up, as well as gear box oil and CV joint moly grease. Very short to no warmup.

Would not surprise me if the batteries can provide more power at higher ambient temps. Not sure how much heat played a factor for me today though. I park in an underground lot and it was about 70 when I left work

definitely makes it easy to drive with the windows down instead of the AC blasting!

Sparklebeard said:
Would not surprise me if the batteries can provide more power at higher ambient temps. Not sure how much heat played a factor for me today though. I park in an underground lot and it was about 70 when I left work

definitely makes it easy to drive with the windows down instead of the AC blasting!

I would say that if you can average 7.1 mi /kWh for the whole discharge cycle, you would certainly have a range of over 200 to 210 miles capability on level ground, on a charge cycle. Your car and battery is new, and that pretty much matches my 2015 when new seeing 129 miles of range, a few times I even saw it go to 131 miles of range on a full recharge, though not very often. multiply those by 1.5 and that's 195 miles.

It's known that VW engineered in some more efficiencies in the 2017,18 and 19 models, so, I'd certainly consider it possible, under optimum conditions.

That is impressive, 7.1mi/kwh! In the week or so since then have you tried to estimate realistic limit on total miles per single charge?

Who else has done this (sorry I suppose I could search but too lazy)? What are the general upper limits to total miles on a single charge from a 2019 with the 35kwh battery? We don't have many miles on our 2019 SE but our perceived total battery range is well over the published 125 miles. More like a reliable 140 I would guess.

I haven't averaged 7.1, but I got double digit efficiency driving down a mountain. :) Seriously, I believe on a level highway, at 62 mph, I expect the car to be able to travel about 130 miles before hitting the red zone

zanzabar said:
That is impressive, 7.1mi/kwh! In the week or so since then have you tried to estimate realistic limit on total miles per single charge?

Who else has done this (sorry I suppose I could search but too lazy)? What are the general upper limits to total miles on a single charge from a 2019 with the 35kwh battery? We don't have many miles on our 2019 SE but our perceived total battery range is well over the published 125 miles. More like a reliable 140 I would guess.

I would put it at probably about 190 to 195 miles, with where and how I drive. Of course i'd probably only try for 150 to 160 and keep the battery at least showing 1/4 left on the fuel gauge. YMMV, that's based on my 6.1 to 6.3 miles / kWh this time of year.

Back