Common problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewired

Hello all

Hoping to get a 2017+ as soon as my 2011 BMW 335i sells.

What are the common problems on this car? Or the MK7.5 in general. There doesn’t seem to be a lot. Early cars had controller problems that seems to have ol been addressed on 2017+.

On the 335 forums you could go through pages and pages on common problems like fuel pumps, turbo piping, lighting control modules, bad ground straps

What are the common weak points of these cars? Egolf and general MK7.5

Thank you !

Common problems are that very few were sold in the USA, maybe 3500-4000 the first year. Few owners still own them, and fewer still are on this board. It's not a BMW, they have been mostly problem free.

Another common problem is owners that never read their Owner's Manual. Especially on features on how to recharge their cars. But that's not a car problem, that's Owner / operator error.

JoulesThief said:
Another common problem is owners that never read their Owner's Manual. Especially on features on how to recharge their cars. But that's not a car problem, that's Owner / operator error.

lol. That’s true for most questions asked on any car forums !

A couple of months ago I started cursing the Lexus IS-F forums to see how they where and I was amazed by what people where complaining about. That car has so few problems compared to the 335 and E46 M3 that I’ve owned.

But then I realized I should spent money on something cheap to operate since I’m stuck in stop and go traffic all the time. Egolf fits the bill. Just doing my research before jumping in

EDIT:
Took a few minutes to visit the Vortex. Here are a fews link to the MK7 FAQ

-Body and Exterior
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...read****&p=102080921&viewfull=1#post102080921

-Interior
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...read****&p=102080937&viewfull=1#post102080937

Those are some good links. Thing is, I don't think you can get an e-golf with a sunroof, so problems fixed! :)
The rest seems to be car by car type of problems.
There have been a couple of people mentioning here about a rumbling at high speed. So if you regularly get your car over the speed limit, then make sure you test drive a little bit at that speed to be sure you're not inheriting someones reject.
Oh, and one or two mentioned that the windshield defrost doesn't or only partially works (wires integrated into the glass). So I guess check that if you can.
Otherwise I love this car. Haven't had anything major (or minor for that matter) go wrong.
hth,
Jon.

We bought our 2015 SEL used a little under two years ago at ~31k miles. We just passed 50k miles and so far it is the most reliable car I have ever owned (over 50 vehicles and counting spanning the past 40 years).

I've owned my 2015 SEL e-Golf 4 years and 24.5k miles. It's been in for one recall. That is it. I've rotated the wheels 1x, last month, and refilled the wiper fluid and put new wiper blades front and rear on it. That and keep it washed and waxed, religiously. Zero problems or maintenance issues. So far, it runs like a Swiss watch.

Thanks for the replies folks !

I was by my local dealer to pick up parts for my MKIV R32 and spoke with the master tech. He was saying mk7s are solid cars in general. Most of what he sees are shifters and turbos. Neither of them that I’d have.

He did suggest I drive one in winter time to make sure I’m okay with the fact that the cabin will never as warm as a car equipped with a ICE. And the fact that the range is reduced. I’m fine with both

Back