Limited Edition why same range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About to buy a Limited Edition, but have a slight hesitation about the heavier wheels and no heat pump. My understanding is the aluminum alloy and heat pump help with efficiency and thus range - so why does the Limited Edition have the same reported range as SEL?

Does anyone know if the range reported for the Limited Edition was based on tests or are they able to claim the SEL's range because it's essentially the same car?

BTW, it gets very cold here in winter, close to singe digits and teens F or below zero some of the time so heating will be needed for many months. And it gets very hot, close to and above 100 in summer sometimes. I know hot and cold temps will affect range. Would like to hear opinions on how much the Limited Edition would be affected compared to the SEL, if at all.

Thank you from Beacon, NY

The SEL features missing from the limited version are worth 4000+ so to save 2000 makes no sense. A heat pump especially is a huge advantage in colder climates and is worth 1100 all by itself. The only reason vw came out with limited is the car isn't selling all that well in the US and it's an attempt to get the price down

Ron

Range is based on EPA test protocols which do not consider driving in cold temperatures and using resistance heaters or heat pumps. Unfortunately that is important for EV's in some areas.

cove3 said:
The only reason vw came out with limited is the car isn't selling all that well in the US and it's an attempt to get the price down

I doubt that's true. When the eGolf was first released last year, my dealer mentioned that they'd be coming out with a cheaper Limited Edition version in 2015. It's not a reaction to demand. Not to mention, a car company can't build cars that quickly in reaction to demand.

So, now that the LE has come out, it seems that it is touting the same range as the SEL.

They have different wheels, but the same tires. So it seems that the wheels have less to do with range than the tires? Has anyone put new wheels on with LRR tires?

I am on the search for a nice 17" or possible 18" wheels to replace the OEM. I have found a few under 18lb 17 and 18's, but would be nicer if I could expand my search to other wheels if I can just put on LRR tires and be done with it.

Back