Does the E-Golf fit my commute?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twynbyz

Hello All,

I'm considering leasing an EV and would like the forums opinion. My current commute is between 40 and 50 miles one way and consist of mainly freeway driving. So at any given time I could be looking at between 80 and 100 miles round trip each day. With that said, I do have access to level two chargers at my job so I can recharge the E-Golf once I get to work and then recharge again overnight when I get home. Keeping this mind, do you all thing that I could get by with an EV for my daily commute?

Thank you all in advance for you opinions and insight!!!

Sounds perfect. Only thing I'd suggest is to pay a little bit more on the lease to get more mileage included - otherwise you could be stuck with a large mileage penalty at the end.

You should consider how reliably you will get to use the charging stations at work. If you are practically guaranteed access for at least two hours during your work day, you will not have any trouble making the round trip. If not, you have to consider contingencies. You didn't say where you are located. Weather in your location can affect the range of the car. It is also important whether or not you have SAE Combo quick charging available in your area. Also, what kind of personal "emergencies" are likely in your life? If your kid is injured at school, would you have to drive to their school on short notice? What additional mileage could these "likely emergencies" require?

With a 50 mile each way commute and nearly guaranteed access to workplace charging, I would not hesitate about the range. However, that commute (100 miles/day * 50 weeks * 5 days) is 25,000 miles per year. You can't lease with that kind of mileage. However, you will save about $3,000/year in gas compared to a 25mpg vehicle with gas at $3/gal. You just have to calculate how much (25,000mi / 3.5mi/kWh * 50%) 3,571 kWh of electricity will cost you at home. 50% because half of your charging is done at work, presumably for free.

As miimura pointed out above, if you are putting on 100 miles per weekday means you will do at least 25,000 miles per years, maybe even approaching 30,000 miles per year if you add a few miles on weekends.

This means the typical 10,000-12,000 miles per year lease will probably not work for you.

The e-Golf is a great car, I test drove it a few weeks ago. I am on my second Nissan Leaf. I leased my first one for three years and I just bought a used one for $13,000.

The deal I got from a Nissan dealer was this: $13,000 before tax and fees for a 2013 Nissan Leaf S w/ QC, 6.6k, camera, full 12 bars, only 1.5 years old w/ only 8,000 miles, in like-new condition, w/ excellent Nissan Certified Pre Owned warranty.

Both of my LEAFs are completely trouble free with zero issues from day one, and I am a pretty aggressive driver.

Since my purchase about six weeks ago I have seen the same car sell for $12,000 (before tax and fees). A lot of 2013 LEAFs are now rolling off lease hitting the used car market.

If you go this route be sure to buy the 2013, not 2011 or 2012, because you could get it with 6.6k onboard charger. 6.6k charges at 2x the speed of 3.3k. In addition, IMO, you also want the QC.

I know this is an e-Golf forum. Don't read me wrong, I love the e-Golf and think it's a much better car than the Leaf. I look forward to getting an e-Golf in the future.

All....

Thank you for your input and insight thus far. After reviewing your responses, I believe I need to provide some additional information to further clarify my situation. I own my own buisness and do alot of car leasing. In fact, I currently have 3 vehicles leased through my business. In most cases, each car is leased for 36 months with 12K miles a year. Never once have I gone over mileage. Keeping that in mind, I will be leasing the E-Golf for a minimum of 36 months with 15K miles per year. To put things in perspective, the E-Golf would be driven a minimum of 3 to 4 days a week. When I factor in rotating between my ICE vehicle, holidays, vacations, etc.....I firmly believe that I will be well within the mileage allowance for the lease term.My goal is to get rid of my second ICE vehicle and replace it with an EV and eliminate my reliance on gas for commuting back and forth to work.

I hope this information provides some clarity and I welcome any additional input that you may have regarding my situation.

Thanks!!!

miimura said:
You should consider how reliably you will get to use the charging stations at work. If you are practically guaranteed access for at least two hours during your work day, you will not have any trouble making the round trip. If not, you have to consider contingencies. You didn't say where you are located. Weather in your location can affect the range of the car. It is also important whether or not you have SAE Combo quick charging available in your area. Also, what kind of personal "emergencies" are likely in your life? If your kid is injured at school, would you have to drive to their school on short notice? What additional mileage could these "likely emergencies" require?

With a 50 mile each way commute and nearly guaranteed access to workplace charging, I would not hesitate about the range. However, that commute (100 miles/day * 50 weeks * 5 days) is 25,000 miles per year. You can't lease with that kind of mileage. However, you will save about $3,000/year in gas compared to a 25mpg vehicle with gas at $3/gal. You just have to calculate how much (25,000mi / 3.5mi/kWh * 50%) 3,571 kWh of electricity will cost you at home. 50% because half of your charging is done at work, presumably for free.

Thanks for your response. There are a total of 6 blink chargers in the parking structure next to my jobsite. I only saw one being occupied when I checked the other day. I think it's also important to note that this is a public/paid access parking structure. You only get to park there two hours for free to shop. After two hours, they begin charging an hourly rate. The plus for me is that my job would work on getting me permanenet access to the garage if I own an EV. Also, I live in southern Cali so I believe you already know that I live in a predominently warm climate. Lastly, my wife is at home with the kids for the next year until they start Pre-K so emergencies are a non issue until she begins working again. When I take into consideration everything you've brought up, I think I'm good to go. At this point my only other option is a 2016 Volt but that is several months away........thanks again for your thorough response......

twynbyz said:
When I take into consideration everything you've brought up, I think I'm good to go.
I agree. Go for it! Charging for just one or two hours during your workday will give you plenty of range cushion for your drive home.

One other note - when you start using the Blink stations, make sure to check the temperature of the charging handle where it plugs into the car. There was a problem with the original handles that they used where the pins would overheat due to poor crimping inside the handle. The overheating melted the handle and charge port of several vehicles. So, after it has been charging for 30-60 minutes go out and feel the temperature of the handle where it meets the charge port. Warm is OK, but if it is uncomfortable to keep your hand on it for 10 seconds, stop charging immediately and try a different station.

I love mine for my 80 mile per day round trip commute!

If you can keep your round trip closer to 80 miles you should be able to get by without charging at work if you want.

My commute is 40 miles each way and I have been getting along great without charging at work during warmer weather. I usually have 16 miles range left when I get home. This is driving fairly conservatively with the A/C on and about 75% 70 MPH and 25% slow / heavy traffic.

The higher mileage leases get expensive so I did a 15k mile lease for 4 years, 3k down (will get that back from MD state), 325/month and 10k residual. It pays for itself since I was spending 400-500/month on fuel + maintenance on my diesel truck before.

A Level 2 charger at home is necessary if you don't charge at work.

I also have the option of charging at work but we only have L1 chargers and not enough to go around, so I leave them for the others who need them worse than I do. I'll probably need to charge at work in the winter, but you won't have the cold weather issue to deal with.

snAKes said:
I love mine for my 80 mile per day round trip commute!

If you can keep your round trip closer to 80 miles you should be able to get by without charging at work if you want.

My commute is 40 miles each way and I have been getting along great without charging at work during warmer weather. I usually have 16 miles range left when I get home. This is driving fairly conservatively with the A/C on and about 75% 70 MPH and 25% slow / heavy traffic.

The higher mileage leases get expensive so I did a 15k mile lease for 4 years, 3k down (will get that back from MD state), 325/month and 10k residual. It pays for itself since I was spending 400-500/month on fuel + maintenance on my diesel truck before.

A Level 2 charger at home is necessary if you don't charge at work.

I also have the option of charging at work but we only have L1 chargers and not enough to go around, so I leave them for the others who need them worse than I do. I'll probably need to charge at work in the winter, but you won't have the cold weather issue to deal with.

Thanks for your response. Your commute is somewhat identical to mine and further helps to solidify my decision!!!

Back