Airport parking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czar

I have a trip tomorrow from JFK. It's a 48-hour turnaround. There are several EV spaces with Chargepoint Level II chargers. Getting there will be close to 100% of range so will definitely need a charge; however, hate to take up a space for 40 hours more than necessary.

Anyone else experience this/have advice?

My experience from the other side of the USA has been that SFO airport has a large number of EVSEs, however they are only available to people using Valet parking.
I don't know the situation at JFK, but I've been to several other airports that have on-site EVSEs.
I go to ParkSFO http://www.parksfo.com/services/ - so far they've been great.

The big problem with the eGolf's locking charge port is that you can't really leave your car in a level 2 charger for more than 4 hours, it just isn't respectful to other EV owners. You can't leave your car completely unlocked either for obvious reasons, especially in NYC.

I don't know of any other EV that have locking charge ports than can not be disabled.
This is a major problem with the eGolf if you are going to use any public chargers.

not a cheap solution to the charge port locking issue but if you really need it you could get an extension. In addition to the addressing locking issue, hopefully it can also be useful in general situations.

Here is an example:
http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/185-j1772-extension-50a-20-foot-cable-for-our-juicebox-or-any-level-2-charging-station

Since other EV drivers may not be familiar with this, you will probably need to leave a note to disconnect at extension point.

Either take another vehicle, park at a valet place that will move the car for you, or arrive 3 1/2 hours early on the way out, or stay 3 1/2 hours later on the way back to charge the car.

Well, if it's helpful, I'll tel you what I ended up doing. The pictures of the charging spots is seen online for JFK liked pretty empty so I decided to take a look first before my flight. I figured if they were busy I'd park in a regular spot and then spend 4 hours after my flight. When I got there, there was one Ford Fusion (I think hats what it was) charging. All the remaining spots were empty. Likewise, when I returned, the same Ford was there and all he other spots were empty.

Back