Low(er) Rolling Resistance Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I also drive a Leaf S with its Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 tires, I know that the stock Continental tires on the e-Golf are only fair-to-middlin' in rolling resistance. I am really interested to hear about your experience with other tires on the e-Golf.

Ideally, I would like to use the Nokian WRG2 tires, because they are supposed to be truly all weather, and if they are as LRR as the other Nokian tires I have used, then that is what I will do.

Since there is no spare tire and the TPMS is standard, I would prefer to get run-flat tires whenever the original tires wear out.
Since run-flats have stiffer sidewalls, I would assume lower rolling resistance at he expense of greater un-sprung weight.

A quick search at Tire Rack using the OEM size 205/55-16 and selecting Run-Flat and Low Rolling Resistance gives 4 results, basically two tires. A Goodyear "Efficient Grip Runonflat" and a Pirelli "Cinturato P7 Run Flat" that comes in W or V speed ratings. Both of these are Summer tires and have relatively poor treadwear ratings. The Pirellis are all 260 treadwear and the Goodyear is 340.

If you give up the Low Rolling Resistance rating, there is a run-flat Bridgestone DriveGuard Grand Touring All Season tire that has a 500 tread wear rating.

The Nokian WRG3 all weather tires are available as either regular or runflat:

http://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-wrg3/

Nokian_WRG3_asymmetric2.jpg

The runflats are a lot more money. I agree, though that they would be great if you get a flat. Which I have - twice actually, on the same right rear tire.

I will not buy a set of tires that are not lower rolling resistance than the stock tires. That would be giving up on an important improvement.

My eGolf also came with the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 "Plus" tires and I am getting 4.6 miles/kWH overall since I got the car. I did get 5 miles/kWH on one 91 mile drive recently. I live in a hilly area and the same drive in my Nissan Leaf is only getting me about 4.2 miles/kWH also on the EP422+ (retail version). The Leaf on the OEM Ecopias would get even less economy.

RonDawg said:
My eGolf also came with the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 "Plus" tires and I am getting 4.6 miles/kWH overall since I got the car. I did get 5 miles/kWH on one 91 mile drive recently. I live in a hilly area and the same drive in my Nissan Leaf is only getting me about 4.2 miles/kWH also on the EP422+ (retail version). The Leaf on the OEM Ecopias would get even less economy.

Yeah, I am getting about the same range on mine. Very consistent ~90 miles. Usually more. I consistently see my trip at 60+ with another 25-30+ left on the range.

Of course, now that I lowered my car, I want to see what kind of range I get now.

I am typically seeing 5.9 miles / kWh on the Leaf with Ecopias @ 45PSI.
I am typically seeing 5.4 miles / kWh on the e-Golf with Continentals @ 50PSI.

Back