Confused on L2 chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czar

I'm looking for some advice on installing a L2 charger at employer-provides housing. I am paying to have a 240 line installed ($650), and would prefer to use a plug in lieu of hardwire given that it's not my home, so my thinkng is that it would be easier, when my contract is over, to unplug the unit and take it with me. There seems to be several different types of 240 plugs? Not sure if it makes a difference? This is a 5-year timeframe with the housing (although could be longer if my contract renews), so is my thinking right on the plug versus hardwire? It would be installed outside on the wall of the house. Any advice/recs would be appreciated.

If this is going to be installed outside, I would go with a hardwire, otherwise it would be more likely to be stolen. You can always use a junction box and cap it off when it's time to move.

czar said:
I'm looking for some advice on installing a L2 charger at employer-provides housing. I am paying to have a 240 line installed ($650), and would prefer to use a plug in lieu of hardwire given that it's not my home, so my thinkng is that it would be easier, when my contract is over, to unplug the unit and take it with me. There seems to be several different types of 240 plugs? Not sure if it makes a difference? This is a 5-year timeframe with the housing (although could be longer if my contract renews), so is my thinking right on the plug versus hardwire? It would be installed outside on the wall of the house. Any advice/recs would be appreciated.
Each different type of NEMA socket for 240V has a different rating. Make sure the circuit (wire size and breaker size) are proper for the charging station that you want to use. I recommend a 50A circuit with a NEMA 6-50 socket. This is the most common plug that is provided on UL Listed residential charging stations (Leviton, Bosch, Siemens, etc). However, NEMA 14-50 is also common and is available on JuiceBox (no UL yet) and Clipper Creek units. You also have to think about outdoor mounting. The easiest is wall mounting, but a post closer to the parking space is also possible, but probably more expensive to install. The replies above are good regarding plug vs. hardwire. There are proper ways to do the install for both options.

I thought about plug in, but I read somewhere that it's nothing to turn the power off and remove the wires from the box. Like a 110 outlet, just unscrew a couple of wires.

Ron

Thanks everyone - I will just install a hard wired unit then and disconnect when I leave. Home Depot has the GE unit for $399 and maybe there will be a sale over Labor Day.

Is there a way to measure usage, or would I need an EVSE with that capability?

czar said:
You can either get an EVSE that can measure usage - JuiceBox Premium and the upcoming ChargePoint Home are the only ones that come to mind - or you can use a home energy monitor to track usage. There are many of these available like eMonitor, eGauge, The Energy Detective (TED), etc.

miimura said:
czar said:
You can either get an EVSE that can measure usage - JuiceBox Premium and the upcoming ChargePoint Home are the only ones that come to mind - or you can use a home energy monitor to track usage. There are many of these available like eMonitor, eGauge, The Energy Detective (TED), etc.

Thanks - I ordered the Juicebox Pro 40. I have an Amazon account to give me 5% off, so the net price was $570. I figure between the features, app, availability, and upgraded amperage, it's the right way to go.

Back