Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:16 am
Posts: 8
So from the beginning I did not care for the wheels that came on the e-Golf SEL.....actually I hated them. After reading the forums on the costs of a larger wheel I decided to move forward as I typically don't go farther than 45 miles in a day. I picked up a set of Austin's and had Pirelli P7 tires in a 225/40R18 mounted. The tires are LRR and aired them up to 41 PSI. So far I have had them for a week and I am seeing between 8-12% penalty in the mi/kwh stats depending on the type of driving. My wife uses the car to commute in so I compared the morning drive (no traffic) and the return drive (lots of traffic) as this is more of an apples to apples compare.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2057
vwsickness wrote:
So from the beginning I did not care for the wheels that came on the e-Golf SEL.....actually I hated them. After reading the forums on the costs of a larger wheel I decided to move forward as I typically don't go farther than 45 miles in a day. I picked up a set of Austin's and had Pirelli P7 tires in a 225/40R18 mounted. The tires are LRR and aired them up to 41 PSI. So far I have had them for a week and I am seeing between 8-12% penalty in the mi/kwh stats depending on the type of driving. My wife uses the car to commute in so I compared the morning drive (no traffic) and the return drive (lots of traffic) as this is more of an apples to apples compare.
Image


So VW will figure an 8 to 12% penalty in battery life for you too, when your's fails outside of warranty. Why? Because you modded the car, and the modification contributed to 8 to 12% less efficiency, more stress, more recharges on the traction battery.

I'd say that's a sickness, because no one really cares about how your wheels look when they are spinning, or working, or doing what they are designed and supposed to do, well, except VW when your battery dies sooner than it should, and believe me, they are logging your kwh usage, it's all stored in memory. That's a very expensive battery you are tampering with the life of. Just saying... that's how VW will call it also. Warranty void. 8 to 12% loss of functionality.

BTW, they look great, they just don't function great, not compared to the OE's.

No one seems to understand or "get it" that VW and most german car manufacturers build completely integrated car systems, completely pieced together to function and meet specific design and warranty parameters. Buy a german car exactly the way you want it from the factory. You'll save yourself a tremendous amount of grief and stress, by not tampering with it and leaving it stock. Otherwise you end up with something very out of balance and touchy to keep all the systems running as they should. Modifications expose the other weakest link in the design.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:00 pm
Posts: 10
vwsickness wrote:
[...] So far I have had them for a week and I am seeing between 8-12% penalty in the mi/kwh stats depending on the type of driving. [...]


That number seems surprisingly large given some numbers I've seen online for difference in rolling resistance in tires.

I'm curious if you're seeing any differences in the distance logged for the commute - that would be an indication that the calibration of the speedometer/odometer might be off (which would potentially cause the car to misstate consumption stats).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2057
ulrichw wrote:
vwsickness wrote:
[...] So far I have had them for a week and I am seeing between 8-12% penalty in the mi/kwh stats depending on the type of driving. [...]


That number seems surprisingly large given some numbers I've seen online for difference in rolling resistance in tires.

I'm curious if you're seeing any differences in the distance logged for the commute - that would be an indication that the calibration of the speedometer/odometer might be off (which would potentially cause the car to misstate consumption stats).

A 225-40 is plus 2 over the original rims and tires. Usually, that ends up being slightly smaller in diameter than the stock wheels. Which means the gauge would record more distance that actually traveled, and the the miles per kwh should read higher, as the gauge reads more miles being traveled for amount of electricity used, than were actually traveled.

Car in pic has Euro plates, is that your car in the pic, or someone elses? I thought you bought your e-Golf from Seramonte VW?

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:09 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Malta, Europe
This is from memory, so I may be mistaken, but I remember reading an article on Tesla's configuration page. I believe it was mentioned that larger wheels (with lower profile tires), did have a significant effect on range. Somewhere in the range of 30 miles if I recall correctly. So the 8-12% range drop is right about there.

I think the car configurator on Tesla's website is publicly accessible. So anyone interested can check it out.

_________________
2015 UK spec e-Golf SE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:16 am
Posts: 8
I did get the car from Serramonte VW but for the picture I put the German export plate. From what I read where others had switched to larger wheels with non-LRR tires saw a loss in the neighborhood of 20%. For this reason I specifically picked a LRR tireand the loss I'm getting I attribute to the additional mass. The 18" wheel/tire combo is eight pounds heavier over the 16" setup. As mmifsud mentioned the 8-12% range reduction was expected.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:27 pm
Posts: 58
Location: NJ
The width is hurting you too. More frontal area.

Tesla was brought up. They had a truly ugly "aero" wheel option for a time and only claimed a 3% improvement in range. Same size tires.

_________________
Mike
Still Plays With Cars - '15 e-golf, '04 V70R, '04 FFR, '01 360, '91 318is


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 pm
Posts: 1166
Location: Los Altos, CA
mfennell wrote:
The width is hurting you too. More frontal area.

Tesla was brought up. They had a truly ugly "aero" wheel option for a time and only claimed a 3% improvement in range. Same size tires.
Probably only a 3% take rate because they were so ugly. The 19" turbines were a much better compromise of appearance and aero properties.

_________________
2015 e-Golf LE (returned) | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 2012 RAV4 EV Shoreline w/JdeMO | Leviton EVB40 & Jesla Home Charging | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV + 2x Powerwall 2 AC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:19 pm
Posts: 284
Aero is different for different vehicles - a lot of folks at EcoModder.com have done aero wheels, and rear wheel skirts, and the savings can be as high as 6-7%.

The tires also matter - rolling resistance of the stock Continental tires is only fair.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New wheels for the eGolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2057
NeilBlanchard wrote:
Aero is different for different vehicles - a lot of folks at EcoModder.com have done aero wheels, and rear wheel skirts, and the savings can be as high as 6-7%.

The tires also matter - rolling resistance of the stock Continental tires is only fair.


I think my e-Golf has something like Bridgestone Ecopias Plus? May 2015 build.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Last edited by JoulesThief on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Volkswagen e-Golf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group