new e-Golf drivers Wiki

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 703

Hi All,

This forum is really useful for new e-Golf drivers - I am picking mine up on Saturday and have spent a few hours reading about driving, charging, etc. an e-Golf. For example, this forum persuaded me to not buy a ClipperCreek EVSE given the on-going timer issues.

Yet information is quite scattered and it would be helpful to establish a wiki-like page for new drivers that links to resources (i.e. no discussion as such in the wiki).

Key topics that should be helpful to a new driver:
- Documentation, manuals, etc.
- Portals, apps, service providers, etc.
- Driving an e-Golf: Tips, tricks, and issues
- Charging an e-Golf: Home charging, on-the-road charging (e.g. compatibility, value)
- Maintenance, servicing, recalls
- Top troubleshooting tips (probably a rolling list)

Does this make sense?

FAQ

1) What is the symbol of the 'HAND' on the underside of the trunk? Don't you just close the trunk from the outside?
If you reach up near the hand you will find a handle to grab and close the trunk. This is so you put fingerprints on your car.

2) 2016SE Only - How can I change the stations on my radio while driving? It's distracting to look at the screen.
Your wiper stalk has a little up down selector. If you hold the UP for 2 seconds your center screen (On your instrument panel) will show many options. One of them is Audio. After you set that, you will notice that the stalk will let you change stations! Since it is centered you can also see the Station Name and the Song Playing.

3) It's annoying the unlock the rear doors using the remote or the inner door lock. Anything we can do?
On your infotainment center, there is an option to select '4 Doors unlock'. It's convenient.

4) How to setup delayed charging.
Ouch that's a large one. You need to set...A) Min Charge (10%), B) Departure time (Time the car needs to be at 100%). Now there are 'Off Peak times' but I'm not sure if they even apply since Departure time determines the start time to charge. If you car needs 4 hours of charge (Says on the screen when you plug in) and your departure is 7am, it doesn't start until 3am.

5) Why is this manual so hard to read?
That's because whomever wrote it doesn't understand English. Haha...it just sucks.

6) How do I use Apple Carplay or Android Auto? - After installing it on your phone you need to plug the phone into the USB jack on the car. The infotainment screen then matches the phone (sorta). Fun little faq for Android - You know how the phone is locked to Android auto now? Push the 'Previous Tabs' button on the lower left and you can access your phone's other apps AND have Android auto running.

7) What's 'B' mode. I call that 'brake saver' mode as I hardly ever use the brakes as the car slows down automatically and uses that 'slowing down' to charge the battery.

8) Why is there a '1-2-3' mode when 'B' mode covers the best. Well lets put it this way. Ever be the PASSENGER in car running on 'B' mode? You head is jerking around too much. 1-2-3 aren't as drastic as B mode and still offer some recuperation (recharging) ability.

9) Where is my tire lock key? In the rear right inside the jack package.

10) I got a flat in the back of my car, can they tow it backwards? No, you must tow it from the front OR get a flatbed or get a 'dolly' under the front wheels while towing backwards (Not recommended). Extra item, VW Info (The 'i' button) will only tow you to a VW dealer, not to a tire center.

11) My visors don't cover the entire door when the sun is on the side, and I don't see an 'extension'. Did you know the Visors themselves Extend? (And leave an open spot on the other side).

12) I forgot to turn off the Parking Brake and I pressed the pedal, did I just wreck them? No, the parking brake automatically disengages if you push the pedal hard enough while in gear.

13) Car net is free for 90 days, then after it's an optional subscription. You do lose most of the functionality after 90 days and are limited to Climate control changes.

14) If you leave a window open, hold down the lock 'button' on the door for a few seconds and all windows will close

15) If you need to unlock / lock the car manually, the manual lock is underneath part of the door handle (Where a lock would normally be)

others coming soon.

forbin404 said:
FAQ

2) How can I change the stations on my radio while driving? It's distracting to look at the screen.
Your wiper stalk has a little up down selector. If you hold the UP for 2 seconds your center screen (On your instrument panel) will show many options. One of them is Audio. After you set that, you will notice that the stalk will let you change stations! Since it is centered you can also see the Station Name and the Song Playing.

I just use the left/right buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to cycle through my presets.

miimura said:
forbin404 said:
Added Towing info.
A dolly could also be used on the rear wheels (with flat tire) pulled by a standard tow truck lifting the front of the car.
True, I wonder why my tow guy didn't suggest that, made me wait for flat bed.

Edit :
I forgot, but the reason is they didn't want my front end to drag. The dolly might still cause that.

Q:
I took off without disengaging the parking brake. Did I just burn my brakes?

A:
No, the eGolf will automatically disengage the parking brake if you put enough force on the pedal.

Now, is this wise to never disengage the parking brake because it's automatic? I don't think so, but it is a 'feature'.

This can't happen in an eGolf:

gif-car-gas-station-dumb-635417.jpeg

The eGolf will not allow you to engage the transmission so long as the charging cable is still connected.

Zeuser said:
This can't happen in an eGolf:

gif-car-gas-station-dumb-635417.jpeg

The eGolf will not allow you to engage the transmission so long as the charging cable is still connected.

That is true in just about all EV's. It still will not help if you roll away like you are on a slope.

forbin404 said:
miimura said:
forbin404 said:
Added Towing info.
A dolly could also be used on the rear wheels (with flat tire) pulled by a standard tow truck lifting the front of the car.
True, I wonder why my tow guy didn't suggest that, made me wait for flat bed.

Edit :
I forgot, but the reason is they didn't want my front end to drag. The dolly might still cause that.

dollies are a bit of work and they can charge extra for a flat bed ' specialty tow ' lol

Car-Net is a subscription item. It is NOT required to subscribe.

They let you have a 3 month trial then afterwards it's $$$$ /month.
Thanks you can do with the app after the trial is over.

See outside Temp
Turn on Climate control (Nice for people who have a little walk to their car after work)
Turn on Defrost (Same thing but home in the morning)
See Battery Level
Start immediate charging.
See where your car is.

-----
That's about it.
The main carnet app comes with many other features including Lock / Unlock and Flash Lights

Convenience Window Closing.

Credit goes to JoulesThief for pointing this out.
And GASP! It's in the manual, Page 61.

Hold your finger on the lock sensor on the outside door handle for a few seconds and all open windows will close.

Too bad there isn't an all windows down 1/2" setting

How to unlock the front door if you cannot do it using the handle.

Manual Page 335
One corner of the latch (The part closest to the rear doors) will 'flip up' and will reveal a key hole.
Use your key to unlock / lock the car manually.

forbin404 said:
How to unlock the front door if you cannot do it using the handle.

Manual Page 335
One corner of the latch (The part closest to the rear doors) will 'flip up' and will reveal a key hole.
Use your key to unlock / lock the car manually.

on my 15se

you pull the handle slightly then on the underside of the lock cover you use the key to pry the lock cover off, it comes all the way off, not flip up.. and the handle has to be pulled open slightly so that it has room to come off, otherwise the handle holds it on. then the lock is exposed to use the manual flip out key from the fob.

Back