Does the e-Golf have a spare tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping that no news was good news... but thanks for confirming!

I had assumed this would be the case since the battery pack is under the rear seat and cargo area (where the spare tire typically is located).

marta said:
I was hoping that no news was good news... but thanks for confirming!

I had assumed this would be the case since the battery pack is under the rear seat and cargo area (where the spare tire typically is located).

Actually the batteries are NOT under the rear storage (trunk) area. They actually stop at the rear seat back, and there is literally nothing under the rear of the car, which puzzles me as to why they didn't just drop the floor down a bit more to allow room for a donut spare..

sorry for the crappy photo, but that radial indent is what you see on the inside of the lower trunk space, and then there is about 8 inches or more before you even get close to the bottom of the rear bumper cover. The suspension arms do cut close, but seems that could've at least dropped the floor lower for more storage since there is no muffler taking up that space....

photo4_zpse3948e14.jpg

Volkswagen-e-Golf_2015_1280x960_wallpaper_42.jpg

I think the lack of a spare is due to weight rather than space, same reason there is no sunroof.
Weight is the enemy of efficiency for EV's.
Is the reduction in range due to the weight of the spare worth the inconvenience of a puncture if you get one? It would also affect the range VW could market, putting it behind the competitors.

eGolf2015 said:
Too bad they didn't just leave extra storage space there so that owners could have the option of putting in a spare if desired.

You might have an option if there is someone else you can call on in the event of a flat, the same thing we did when we switched our BMW over from run flats to conventional tires.

We bought a space-saver 'donut" online, cost about $90. Came in a nice BMW logoed nylon tote bag along with a jack since BMW doesn't supply one with cars with run flats. If we were both in the car we threw the donut in the trunk, if one of us was at home the donut stayed in the garage and could be brought out in event of a flat. This saved us on tires too because the run flats were a lot more expensive than "regular" tires, the rims are the same and the TPW system still worked.
I have photos if interested.

I haven't looked because I dont think it is a big deal but I suspect a bit of googling around and you will find a similar solution for the eGolf.

cynandvinecar said:
eGolf2015 said:
Too bad they didn't just leave extra storage space there so that owners could have the option of putting in a spare if desired.

You might have an option if there is someone else you can call on in the event of a flat, the same thing we did when we switched our BMW over from run flats to conventional tires.

We bought a space-saver 'donut" online, cost about $90. Came in a nice BMW logoed nylon tote bag along with a jack since BMW doesn't supply one with cars with run flats. If we were both in the car we threw the donut in the trunk, if one of us was at home the donut stayed in the garage and could be brought out in event of a flat. This saved us on tires too because the run flats were a lot more expensive than "regular" tires, the rims are the same and the TPW system still worked.

I haven't looked because I dont think it is a big deal but I suspect a bit of googling around and you will find a similar solution for the eGolf.

Yes, if you have a photo or link you can share, I'd be interested in checking it out. Thanks!

eGolf2015 said:
cynandvinecar said:
eGolf2015 said:

Yes, if you have a photo or link you can share, I'd be interested in checking it out. Thanks!

I've tried loading photos but to no avail, obviously it can be done but I'm at a loss how to make it happen. I've tried using the "img" button but it doesn't help, drop and drag doesn't work either nor copy/paste. Feeling rather stupid right now, can you help? Thanks

You can't upload an image directly to the forum. Instead, try something like http://imgur.com/.

On imgur, click "Upload Images" at the top.
Once you've uploaded, you'll see a box for "Linked BBCode (message boards)" on the right. Copy that and paste it into the text box here.

Back