Sorta Chilly...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megmci

Brand new to the e-Golf...trying to understand the most efficient ways to use the heat.

1) Do the heated seats use more or less battery than the heater?
2) When the car is charging, how do I preheat? The car won't start while it's plugged in, so I'm not sure I understand how to turn the heat on while it's plugged in. I've heard other EV owners (though different cars) say they preheat while charging to extend battery life while driving.

Thanks!

1. Heated seats use far less energy than the cabin heater.
2. You can only pre-heat while charging by the charging timer or by Car-Net. You can use the Car-Net web site or one of the Car-Net apps to do an on-demand climate start or defrost start.

In Case you don't have it, Carnet can be found here or at your preferred APP store. As miimura stated, it's the only way to make it work. It would be nice if you could program it with the head unit or VAG-COM instead. You can program it to turn it on under departures or turn it on/off under Climate. There is also a thread at the bottom of the main e-Golf forum home page dedicated to carnet.

https://carnet.vw.com/web/vwcwp/login

95GLX said:
In Case you don't have it, Carnet can be found here or at your preferred APP store. As miimura stated, it's the only way to make it work. It would be nice if you could program it with the head unit or VAG-COM instead. You can program it to turn it on under departures or turn it on/off under Climate. There is also a thread at the bottom of the main e-Golf forum home page dedicated to carnet.

https://carnet.vw.com/web/vwcwp/login
The 2016 cars can set the charging and climate schedule on the infotainment screen. 2015 cars must use Car-Net to set the schedules.

I just figured out that even though you can't start the car while it's plugged in, you can turn it on and the climate control and seat heaters will work...Just press the start button without holding the brake pedal. Only drawback is that I think you would need to leave the key in the car.

Back