Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: How long does the 12V stay on when parked?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:21 pm 

I ran a power inverter off of my Leaf to power lights and my coffee maker during power outages. It worked great, but I could leave the car on (without sitting in the seat) and connect the hot to the 12v and other side to the DC/DC converter so it would keep the 12v charged from the traction battery. Another guy on the Leaf forum ran refrigerator during Sandy. The problem with the e-Golf is I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the car on, and I don't know when it charges the 12v (the Leaf had to be on).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 pm 

REM wrote:
The problem with the e-Golf is I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the car on, and I don't know when it charges the 12v (the Leaf had to be on).

Please, read my post from about a week ago in this thread. I verified that the car stays on for at least 3 hours with the key in the house and car in the garage. I also used a multimeter to verify the voltage regulator is charging the 12V when the car is on. To be clear, the eGolf didn't turn off after 3hrs, I just decided to stop the test.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:03 pm 

kirby wrote:
REM wrote:
The problem with the e-Golf is I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the car on, and I don't know when it charges the 12v (the Leaf had to be on).

Please, read my post from about a week ago in this thread. I verified that the car stays on for at least 3 hours with the key in the house and car in the garage. I also used a multimeter to verify the voltage regulator is charging the 12V when the car is on. To be clear, the eGolf didn't turn off after 3hrs, I just decided to stop the test.

Sorry, I just noticed that I missed a whole page of the thread. I guess that's what I get for reading on my phone... So was the key to not press the brakes and just turn on accessory mode, or whatever it is called, instead of starting the car as if you were to drive it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 pm 

REM wrote:
kirby wrote:
REM wrote:

Sorry, I just noticed that I missed a whole page of the thread. I guess that's what I get for reading on my phone... So was the key to not press the brakes and just turn on accessory mode, or whatever it is called, instead of starting the car as if you were to drive it?
There is also a fuse setting where the accessory stays on forever.

2016 e-Golf SE (Returned)
2015 Fiat 500e (Returned)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:00 pm 

I think changing "the fuse" position only keeps the 12V power ports (cigarette ports) on full time? Don't know. What I did was:
- Foot off brake, parking brake on, car in park, headlight turned off (to reduce load on the 12V circuit)
- Turn car on
- Wait until the left-hand dial goes to the "Off" position at 9O'Clock.
- Get out of the car (keys in your pocket), pop the hood, check the voltage at the battery. Mine is always around about 13.2V.

This is how I tested and how I did things again today at the flying field. Key is in my pocket, so car can't be driven (I tried this). But the 12V circuit stays on around 13.2V with no load. Today was the first time I actually depended on this, and while I didn't do any serious load, it worked perfectly. I think max load my charger was pulling from my inverter was about 150W for about 20min. For what I'm flying right now, that is going to be a lot more common than the 450W test I did at home, but I wanted to know if I could.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:10 pm 

Here the link to the fuse that leaves the acc on at all times.
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=934

2016 e-Golf SE (Returned)
2015 Fiat 500e (Returned)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm 

forbin404 wrote:
http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=934
You have to be careful with that because while the car is off the load can drain the 12V battery. The method @kirby is using keeps the 12V charged from the high voltage traction battery.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:42 pm 

miimura wrote:
forbin404 wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=934
You have to be careful with that because while the car is off the load can drain the 12V battery. The method @kirby is using keeps the 12V charged from the high voltage traction battery.

Exactly! If I see >13VDC with a multimeter, I assume I'm not drawing from the battery. Although I realized I really should check the voltage of the the 12V circuit with car in fully "on" mode (i.e ready to drive away, but still in park). Hopefully it isn't different, we'll see. UPDATE: When car is in "ready to go" mode, multimeter at the battery read: 13.0, that's lower than the 13.2 I see when car is in "accessory mode"

Last edited by kirby on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 am 

Thanks for doing the tests and posting the results! This thread has been infomative!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:34 pm 

Yes, thanks for posting your results. I am going to use this to keep my refrigerator powered while my main panel gets upgraded for solar in a few weeks. The sticker inside my fridge says 7.2A and after the compressor turns on the draw is only about 150W as verified by my Kill-A-Watt. The inverter I have is rated at 1000 watts continuous so I should be good to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next