Winter Tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of putting winter tires on any 2fwd vehicles - any reasons not to for this vehicle? A colleague with a Chevy Volt commented that EV have lower ground clearance and therefor already more problematic to drive in snow.

Interested in your thoughts!

Flyingdutchman81 said:
A colleague with a Chevy Volt commented that EV have lower ground clearance and therefor already more problematic to drive in snow.

As a general statement this is patently false. It is true that the Chevy Volt has a low ground clearance, but you cannot make that blanket statement about all EVs. My Leaf actually has a large ground clearance, and is great in the snow (with proper tires).

Moreover, the eGolf uses the same frame as any other Golf. I would be shocked if the ground clearance wasn't nearly identical to other Golfs.

The e-golf has 16" wheels while the gas golfs have 17" wheels. That would lower the clearance, but I don't know whether the exhaust/drive shaft offsets that or if the battery case take up the same amount of space

I've seen a video of dropping the battery case. It just unbolts and is lowered down

Ron

cove3 said:
The e-golf has 16" wheels while the gas golfs have 17" wheels. That would lower the clearance, but I don't know whether the exhaust/drive shaft offsets that or if the battery case take up the same amount of space

I've seen a video of dropping the battery case. It just unbolts and is lowered down

Ron

This conclusion is not a given. The smaller wheels could have tires with larger sidewalls. This is typically what is done for wheel options on the same car.

I saw on Edmunds.com they indicate ground clearance on this car is 5".

There are a couple good websites on EV & Winter tire discussions. Many people though indicate LRR tires on say VOLTS perform well in the snow and they held off on winter tires.

We're in PA so we get a reasonable amount of snow, but not like Buffalo or anything. I'll probably hold off and see for myself before getting them.

In the end though, besides increased rolling resistance (but there are LRR Winter Tires) they do pay for themselves as the wear on the winter tires will substitute wear on your regular tires, so as a combo they will last a longer than having just a single set of tires.... FWIW

cove3 said:

Ron

The rim size is not the whole picture. There are usually +1 and -1 sizes from nominal that use tires of different profile to end up at roughly the same circumference. That's how come on most cars you see an option of larger rims - it doesn't lift the car, they just use lower profile tires.

I saved the snow tires on 16in rims from my previous car (GTI) but ended up not installing them right away because they were not LRR and the sales guy said it would have a detrimental affect on the range. The winter has been very mild so far, so I don't think I'll need them right away, but if we get a Nor'easter I'll probably put them on and live with the lower range.
I've had FWD drive cars for years that have been fine in the snow with snow tires and had a 4WD Matrix that was horrible in the snow without them. I do wonder if LRR all seasons will be capable when the snow does arrive.

Back