108 miles range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farallon5

Regarding my 2016 e-Golf SE, when we first got it, the estimated range on the dash gauge after a full charge was about 83 +/-. Over these few months of ownership however, that +/- number has kept creeping up and this morning it was 108!

If I don't use the heater or AC, the number gradually comes down during driving as if it was a real number. What gives? This is our first EV so I don't know if this is typical with all e-Golfs or even all EV's?

We use a JuiceBox Pro 40 to charge and just leave it connected and let it stop on its own. I have the max charging amperage dialed down to 32.

Mine has shown as low as 90 and as high as 125 after a full charge in my driveway. Of course, I get on the highway and watch it drop to 110, 100, 90, 80 all within the first few miles :lol:

I'm not sure how it comes up with the initial range estimation; I would guess it looks at miles/kWh in recent driving history, then assumes "best case" driving conditions (low speeds, moderate temperatures, eco+ mode, climate control off, etc). Once you've proven otherwise, it quickly re-adjusts.

In any case it's important to understand the range estimates are based on current driving conditions. It can't predict what you'll do in the future.

The estimated range (also known as a GOM or guess-o-meter by some people) is based on how you drove during your last few trips, including climate control usage, speed, regeneration, etc. Since your range is creeping up, you may have been driving more gently and thus improved your efficiency or the weather is changing where you live and the climate control doesn't have to work as hard to meet your heating/cooling needs. This is perfectly normal.

The estimated range can be very frustrating. I simply use the "fuel" gauge and estimate how many eighths of fuel I have left. Each eighth I value at 10 miles. Thus, if I have 6/8 left, I have 60 miles left. I find this far more accurate that the estimated range.

My safe rule-of-thumb is 80 miles on the freeway, 100 miles on city streets. So, a half charge is either 40 freeway or 50 city miles without pushing the limit. That makes each eighth 10 or 12.5 miles in my head. I seldom look at the estimated range; it psyches me out seeing it jump all over the place.

Frank3 said:
The estimated range can be very frustrating. I simply use the "fuel" gauge and estimate how many eighths of fuel I have left. Each eighth I value at 10 miles. Thus, if I have 6/8 left, I have 60 miles left. I find this far more accurate that the estimated range.

Ain't that the truth ! I've had mine for 2 days only and my first action after day#1 was to hide the range indicator and display the speed instead... It's totally bonkers and panic inducing. I stick with the gas gauge too ;-)

Deschodt said:
Frank3 said:
Ain't that the truth ! I've had mine for 2 days only and my first action after day#1 was to hide the range indicator and display the speed instead... It's totally bonkers and panic inducing. I stick with the gas gauge too ;-)
If you want to hide the little one (range indicator) at the bottom right of the center of the instrument panel, hold the 0.0 button until it brings up a list of choices and cycle through until it says Trip. There's a hidden gem for you...

I have a less than 3 week old 2017 and have seen my range as high as 163. That was after a level 2 charge and going down a hill (it showed 153 after unplugging). After a recent 30 minute on a level 1, the estimated mileage was around 141. Should I be happy, patting myself on the back for being an economical driver, or concerned?

This is normal behavior that has nothing to do with how you charge the battery. If you drive the car like you stole it (climate control on full blast, 70 mph highway speeds, radio cranked up high, NORMAL mode, super cold ambient temperatures), your estimated range will be low. If you drive it like you want to make every electron give you as much range as possible (low speed, no climate control, ECO mode, no headlights, no radio, etc.) , your estimated range will be high.

Assuming VW lets you use 86% of the gross 35.8 kWh battery, that means you have ~31 kWh of energy available. If you can average 5 miles/kWh for the last trip before you charge, that means the car will guess you can go 155 miles on a full charge. If you can average 3 miles/kWh for the last trip before you charge, that means the car will guess you can go 93 miles.

If you want to make the battery last longer and you don't need to charge to 100% every time, set the e-manager to keep the maximum charge at 80% (or 90% if you need a bit more range).

Back